Catalogue description CHESTER COUNCIL OF SOCIAL WELFARE AND AFFILIATED AND ASSOCIATED ORGANIZATIONS

This record is held by Cheshire Archives and Local Studies

Details of CR 164
Reference: CR 164
Title: CHESTER COUNCIL OF SOCIAL WELFARE AND AFFILIATED AND ASSOCIATED ORGANIZATIONS
Description:

CHESTER COUNCIL OF SOCIAL WELFARE

 

Minutes and correspondence

 

Women and Girls Employment Sub-committee

 

Day Nursery

 

Juvenile Organisation Committee

 

Chester Federation of Boys Clubs

 

Chester Federation of Girls Clubs

 

Chester Federation of Boys and Girls Clubs

 

Citizens Advice Bureau

 

Account books

 

Relief registers

 

Case papers

 

AFFILIATED AND ASSOCIATED ORGANIZATIONS

 

Chester Charity Organisations Committee

 

Chester Soup Kitchen Charity

 

Chester Civic Guild of Help

 

Christian Social Crusade

 

Chester Municipal Charities

 

Soldiers Sailors and Airmens Families Association

 

British Legion

 

Royal Artillery Association

 

War Pensions Committee

 

Chester Women's Citizens Association

 

Chester Standing Conference of Women's Organizations

 

Church Lads Brigade

 

Chester Working Girls Club

Date: 1872-1977
Held by: Cheshire Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Creator:

Chester Council of Social Welfare

Physical description: 28 series
Subjects:
  • Chester, Cheshire
Administrative / biographical background:

This council was established as the H.R.H. The Prince of Wales National Relief Fund at a meeting convened by the mayor Alderman J.M. Frost on 12 Aug. 1914, when an executive committee was appointed to prepare a scheme for dealing with any distress which might occur in the city due to the war, and for the distribution of this relief. Very soon after this district committees were formed and the name of the Chester Council of Social Welfare was adopted for the organisation.

 

From the beginning the council, as well as organising its own relief, began to co-operate and work with other charitable organisations in the city such as the Chester Charity Organisation committee, the Chester Branch of the Guild of Help and military charities such as the Soldiers and Sailors Families Association.

 

The first secretary to the council, appointed in 1914 was Miss Doulton Edwards, who had formerly been secretary to the Scarborough Guild of Help. She remained secretary until 1919 and was succeeded by B.E. Astbury 1919-1930, F.H.J. Wilkinson, 1930-1958, S.T. Sheward, 1958-1973, and Mrs. J. Long 1973-.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research