St Joseph's Catholic Chapel, Trenchard Street, and St Mary's on the Quay Catholic Church
Other records relating to St.Mary on the Quay are contained among the archives of the Diocese of Clifton, at St.Ambrose, Leigh Woods, Bristol, and the Archives of the English Province of the Society of Jesus, 114 Mount Street, London W1Y 5HD.
St Joseph's Catholic Chapel, Trenchard Street, Bristol
St Mary's on the Quay Catholic Church, Bristol
THESE RECORDS ARE IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE FOR RESEARCH
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the English Province of the Society of Jesus, June 1980
For further information about the history of the Church see Notes on the History of St.Mary on the Quay, by Marguerite Fedden.
Administrative / biographical background:
St. Joseph's Chapel, Trenchard Street, opened in 1790, was the first post-Reformation Catholic Chapel to be built in Bristol. In 1843, that chapel being considered inadequate, the present building was purchased from the Irvingites and opened as St. Mary's on the Quay. For a time services were held in St. Joseph's and St. Mary's but later St. Joseph's ceased to be used as a chapel.
The registers ante-date the opening of St.Joseph's chapel by thirteen years. They were begun in 1777 by Fr. John Fontaine, an assistant to Fr. John Scudamore who served the Bristol Catholics from a chapel in St.James Back.