This collection relates to the compact estates in S. Somerset built up by the Hoskins family in the 18c and 19c. The family's earliest associations, as represented here, are with the parish of Haselbury Plucknett, where two Williams, father and son, were girtweb makers in the 18c [DD/HK 59]. A third generation William began to buy property in North Perrott from 1769, including the manor in 1790, and was living in the parish by 1782. In the 19c both he and his son, another William, continued to add to the estate in the parish and bought other properties at Easthams in Crewkerne and in Misterton.
At the same time, Thomas Hoskins, brother of the third William was acquiring property in Hardington Mandeville and Haselbury Plucknett. Thomas made his nephew and namesake, a younger brother of the 4th William, his heir, and eventually both estates were united in the hands of Henry William Hoskyns, nephew of the two last named, William and Thomas. [For pedigree, see Landed Gentry.]