Photocopying of these records might be permitted, depending on their size and condition. Please see a member of staff
Immediate source of acquisition:
Accession 2001-017 (B-S12/1/1/1-2 formerly SMCH/6/1-2) transferred from Lancashire Record Office. Accession 1996-014 (B-S12/1/2/1, 2/1/1).
Administrative / biographical background:
James Cheetham, the owner of Firwood Mill and who lived at Firwood Houses, was a deacon at Manchester Street Baptist Church. A group of members from this church came to work for James Cheetham, and from 1845 used a room formerly a barn behind Mills Hill House for worship and Sunday School work. A new building was erected on land next to Mills House in 1849.
Chadderton School Board took over the running of the school in 1894, leasing the building from the Trustees of the Church, and a new school building was opened in 1902. The Infant Department was separated from the Mixed Department in June 1905, and the Infants and Mixed Departments were amalgamated on 1 December 1922.
The Day School was closed in 1939 and the children transferred to Mills Hills Primary school on Baytree Avenue.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know