Catalogue description PARISH OF DANEHILL

This record is held by East Sussex Record Office

Details of PAR303
Reference: PAR303
Title: PARISH OF DANEHILL
Description:

The first church at Danehill, Holy Trinity, was built in 1835 as a chapel of ease for the parishes of Fletching and Horsted Keynes. It achieved parochial status by Order in Council of 7 March 1851. Holy Trinity was badly damaged by fire in 1887 and the present church, dedicated to All Saints, was erected by the widow of Herbert Carey Hardy as a memorial to her husband. It was consecrated in 1892, and opened for worship in 1893; the former church was demolished.

 

There is a chapel at Chelwood Gate, which is part of the village hall complex.

 

Summary of contents:

 

INCUMBENT

 

PAR303/1/2 Baptismal registers; 1851-1993

 

PAR303/1/3 Marriage registers; 1851-1990

 

PAR303/1/4 Banns registers; 1851-1977

 

PAR303/1/5 Burial register; 1851-1983

 

PAR303/2 Copies of registers; 1836-1851

 

PAR303/3 Service registers; 1892-1985

 

PAR303/4 Buildings; 1890-1960

 

PAR303/7 Other records; 1944

 

CHURCHWARDENS

 

PAR303/9 Accounts; 1932-1938

 

PAR303/10 Property; 1933

 

VESTRY

 

PAR303/12 Minutes; 1873-1949

 

PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL

 

PAR303/14 Minutes; 1929-1996

 

PAR303/15 Financial papers; 1989-1996

 

PAR303/16 Other records of the Parochial Church Council; [1861]-1992

 

CHARITIES

 

PAR303/24 Henry Smith charity; 1827

 

SCHOOLS

 

PAR303/25 Danehill School; 1894-1953

 

BURIAL BOARD

 

PAR303/55 Minutes; 1873-1898

 

PAR303/56 Accounts; 1873-1899

 

PAR303/57 Register of graves; 1873-1900

 

PAR303/58 Other records; 1873

Date: 1836-1996
Related material:

For notes concerning the architecture of Danehill All Saints, see PAR303/16/1/7, 9; for plans of Holy Trinity church by John Cowper of Lewes and James Fuller, 1835-36, see Lambeth Palace Library ICBS 01766 ff83

Held by: East Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Creator:

Church of England, Danehill Parish, East Sussex

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by the Incumbent and PCC on 2 July 1982 (ACC 2861), 15 July 1982 (ACC 2865), 23 August 1982 (ACC 2880), 28 April 1983 (ACC 4077), 6 November 1984 (ACC 4371), 8 March 1985 (ACC 4417), 25 June 1985 (ACC 4472), 24 April 1986 (ACC 4648), 10 January 1989 (ACC 5192), 10 February 1989 (ACC 5208), 12 March 1990 (ACC 5445), 20 September 1993 (ACC 6161), 5 May 2002 (ACC 8562).

Subjects:
  • Danehill, East Sussex
  • Religious institutions
Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research