S. PARKINSON AND SON (DONCASTER) LIMITED, MANUFACTURING CONFECTIONERS
This record is held by Doncaster Archives
|Title:||S. PARKINSON AND SON (DONCASTER) LIMITED, MANUFACTURING CONFECTIONERS|
OWNERSHIP, PARTNERSHIP AND INCORPORATION 1848-1967
PENSION SCHEME 1952-1964
TRADE MARKS 1872-1904
SECONDARY WORKS (1896)-(1977)
Several descriptive items about the firm and its history are to be found at DY/PARK/13/1-4.
|Held by:||Doncaster Archives, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||13 series|
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The firm was established by Samuel Parkinson, confectioner, grocer and tea dealer, in High Street Doncaster in the early nineteenth century. The Parkinson family connection ceased in 1893 on the sale of the business to Samuel Balmforth and a sleeping partner. Incorporation as a limited company followed in 1912. Thereafter the main emphasis of the business was on the manufacture of confectionery which had begun in the mid-ninteenth century with the production of baking powder and the firm's best known product, Parkinson's Doncaster Butterscotch. In 1961 the company was acquired by the Hollands Confectionery Group which was itself taken over by the Cavenham Food Group in 1965. The business ceased production in 1977, and the surviving records were then transferred to the Archives Department.
|Link to NRA Record:|