Gas production in Salford, for public supply, began in 1819 under Messers. Appleby, Brain, Fisher and Clay. An 1830 Act of Parliament allowed the Commissioners of Salford to purchase the works in Clowes Street in 1831. By 1836 these works were replaced by a new gas works in Lamb Lane, later known as Bloom Street. In 1844 a Charter of Incorporation was granted to the town and the gas works came under the control of the Salford Corporation. Under the control of the Corporation's Gas Committee production expanded. New works were constructed in Salford at Regent Road in 1858, Liverpool Street in 1868, Albion Street in 1893 and West Egerton Street in 1912. The Liverpool Street works and the Regent Road works were connected by a footbridge and both lay alongside the London and North-Western Railway. The Albion St works were also adjacent to the Liverpool St works and connected by a subway. The main offices and meter department were based at Bloom St. The area of supply included Eccles, Swinton, Worsley, Walkden, Davyhulme, Irlam, Cadishead and Pendlebury though in 1922 Salford Corporation sold their right to supply Davyhulme to the newly formed Stretford and District Gas Board. On nationalisation in 1949 the Salford Corporation Gas Department vested into the Manchester Group of the NWGB.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know