Collection of records pertaining to Percy Jones (Twinlock) Limited, Ledger manufacturers, including administration and finance records, details of products, and a number of photographs and artefacts.
1905 - 1993
The records of Percy Jones (Twinlock) Limited are open and available for consultation and have been arranged as follows
Administration LMA/4236/A which includes minutes dating from 1912 to 1957, articles of association, and correspondence dating from 1910 to 1960, personnel records which concern Twinlock personnel during the Second World War.
Finance LMA/4236/B. These records include Balance Sheets from 1909 and a Cash book dating from 1905 along with Sales records and figures 1918 to 1965, salaries and Pensions information 1940's to 1964.
Related Organisations LMA/4236/C covers the Shannon Company and factory 1906 to 1967.
Publications LMA/4236/D includes a series of the Twinlock News from 1916 to 1963, as well as a history of the company, and a set of product catalogues 1913 to 1960's.
Products LMA/4236/E. As well as records of the Company there are a good selection of products dating from 1910 to 1970's showing the development of the Twinlock products and the work that went into their design and creation.
Photographs LMA/4236/F. A series of photographs showing members of the Company, the Twinlock works in Beckenham and South Africa, and workers social events and activities.
Ephemera LMA/4236/G. This series of artefacts from the Twinlock Factory includes the Time-Bell from the Little Sutton Street premises and a 'Timothy Twinlock' Uniform which was the costume worn by the Company logo, a page boy holding a pile of books. The costume dates from the 1950's and includes the page boy's cap.
3 files in the collection are unfit for consultation. Please check details at file level
Administrative / biographical background:
Percy Jones began his business in 1905 from a small office in Cheapside. He was approached by an American businessman Mr. Charles Maltby who was travelling in Britain trying to find an agent for his loose leaf Twinlock ledgers. Percy Jones bought £100 worth of goods and six months later moved to a warehouse and office in Carter Lane near St Paul's Cathedral. Here Shelton Cox, who later became a Director of the company joined Percy Jones as a shorthand typist. As turn over grew and as a result of a fire in the Twinlock factory in America the first factory in Britain was established in Cowcross Street, Smithfield. In 1913 the Cowcross premises became too small so the factory moved to Little Sutton Street.
During the War the Twinlock News was founded (1916) and copies from 1916 to 1963 are included among the records.
After the War Twinlock became a Limited Company, and in 1919 built a factory in Beckenham.
The first showroom was built in 1921 in Charles Street, Hatton Garden.
The Twinlock Company also formed a company in South Africa to manufacture the Twinlock line and this is also represented in some of the photographs of the collection.