The furniture manufacturing business which became E. Gomme Ltd., of High Wycombe was established there by Ebenezer Gomme in 1898. He commenced by making hand-made chairs but as early as 1903 had installed some machine tools. A new factory was built in 1909 and, in 1911, Ebenezer's two sons, F.R. and E.C. Gomme, were taken into partnership. The range of production began to include sideboards, tables and other cabinet goods. Gomme pioneered the concept of the dining room suits, designed and made in harmony. In 1927 the Spring Gardens factory was built, and was subsequently extended. Ebenezer Gomme died in 1931, and in 1933 the firm became a limited company. During both world wars the company made aircraft frames. After World War II Gomme became one of the country's largest furniture manufacturers, and its "G-Plan" range was particularly famous. It took over other local firms including Castle Brothers (Furniture) Limited and William Birch Limited.