Church of England, St Michael and All Angels, Bramhall, Cheshire
Immediate source of acquisition:
Administrative / biographical background:
Although technically part of the parish of St Thomas, Stockport, services in Bramhall had been held for a long time in the chapel of Bramhall Hall. This was closed in the early 1880s, however, and an alternative venue had to be found. At first the school room at Bramhall was used for a church service on Sunday evenings, but the need for a mission church soon became evident. On 4 Oct 1890 the mission church of St Michael and All Angels was opened and dedicated. Even after this, space remained a problem. Building of a new church commenced and the first portion opened on 15 July 1910 to be consecrated as the parish church of the now separate Bramhall parish on 23 Jan 1911. Building of the new church was not complete until 1963.