Catalogue description Kendray Hospital, Barnsley

This record is held by Sheffield City Archives

Details of NHS6
Reference: NHS6
Title: Kendray Hospital, Barnsley
Description:

Administration 1953 - 1977

 

NHS6/1/1 Historical note, 1977

 

NHS6/1/2 Aerial photograph, 1953

 

Finance 1916 - 1957

 

NHS6/2 Salaries and wages books, 1916 - 1957

 

Stores and equipment 1945 - 1949

 

NHS6/3 Provisions, 1945 - 1949

 

Establishment 1948 - 1958

 

NHS6/4/1 Staff register, 1948 - 1958

 

Patients 1902 - 1956

 

NHS6/5/1 Admission registers, 1920 - 1949

 

NHS6/5/2 Admission and discharge registers, 1948 - 1956

 

NHS6/5/3 Alphabetical admission registers, 1951 - 1956

 

NHS6/5/4 Medical register, 1936 - 1938

 

NHS6/5/5 Lundwood Hospital smallpox admissions register,

 

1902-1931

Date: 1902 - 1977
Related material:

Copy agreements, etc relating to treatment of infectious diseases, erection of Kendray Hospital and reception of cases, 1887-1899 (SY447/UD3/1-8)

 

Postcards of Kendray Hospital, Early 20th century, 1917 (SY216/Z4/2; SY57/Z1/3-4)

Held by: Sheffield City Archives, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Physical description: 23 items
Access conditions:

Items are open to public inspection unless otherwise stated.

 

Under the Data Protection Act, the patient records are subject to access restrictions. For further information, please refer to a member of staff.

Custodial history:

Prior to April 1986 the records previously numbered SY305 were held by the former South Yorkshire County Record Office.

Subjects:
  • Kendray Fever Hospital; Kendray Infectious Diseases Hospital 1890-1955
Administrative / biographical background:

Kendray Fever Hospital opened in 1890. Following an outbreak of smallpox in 1887, the next year Mrs Ann Alderson, daughter of Francis Kendray, had donated £4,000 to buy a site for an infectious diseases hospital for Barnsley. The foundation stone was ceremoniously laid in March 1889 and on 27 February 1890 the hospital, in Stairfoot, was formally handed over to the town of Barnsley. It was later known as Kendray Isolation Hospital.

 

After the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948, the Hospital from c. 1950 began to cater for geriatric patients and the bed complement increased to 144 in 1958 to provide accommodation for the chronic sick. In 1965 the treatment of infectious diseases was discontinued (those cases being taken on by Barnsley District General Hospital) as it became a hospital solely for geriatric patients with the addition, from 1974, of the mentally ill.

 

In 1981 Barnsley Area Health Authority approved a scheme to prioritise provision of facilities at the hospital for long-term and elderly mental illness. In the 1982 redevelopment, four wards were provided for these cases and upon their completion the old Lambert and Children& apos;s Ward (Isolation Block) and the Round Block (originally for smallpox cases) were demolished. Kendray Hospital is now (2006) the centre of Mental Health Services for the Older Person in Barnsley.

 

Administration:

 

Kendray Fever Hospital was originally managed by the Health Committee of Barnsley Corporation.

 

Following the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948, it was taken over by the Ministry of Health and management passed to the Barnsley Hospital Management Committee of Sheffield Regional Hospital Board, within Trent Regional Health Authority.

 

With the reorganisation of the NHS in 1974 the functions of the then abolished Barnsley Hospital Management Committee were taken over by Barnsley Area Health Authority, and following further reorganisation in 1982, by Barnsley Health Authority with unit management teams. Further NHS changes in 1986 ended consensus management by teams and management passed to general managers. The National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990, implemented in April 1991, introduced the NHS internal market in which the Health Authority purchased services from the service providers; Barnsley HA bought the services of Kendray Hospital which gained Trust status in 1992 by joining forces with Mount Vernon Hospital, Keresforth Centre and the Department of Psychological Medicine as Barnsley Community and Priority Services NHS Trust; Kendray Hospital was the Trust headquarters.

 

Following the Health Act of 1999 the internal market was replaced by integrated care and further NHS reorganisation ensued in April 2002. Kendray Hospital then provided services for the newly created Barnsley Primary Care Trust, established by an amalgamation of Barnsley Health Authority, Barnsley Community and Priority Services NHS Trust, the two Barnsley Primary Care Groups and some elements of social care from Barnsley Social Services.

 

Lundwood Hospital was also originally run by Barnsley Corporation. It opened early in 1900 as a smallpox hospital. When it passed to the Ministry of Health in 1948 it ceased to be used as an isolation hospital and instead focused on geriatric care. It was closed on 30 September 1974, after remaining patients had been transferred to Mount Vernon Hospital, and was demolished in 1977.

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research