|Administrative / biographical background:
The list below gives the names and service dates of County Surveyors. On the establishment of the County Council in 1889 the post, with responsibility for roads, bridges and county buildings (effectively County Hall and police stations), was transferred to the Council's establishment. For Surveyor's memoranda books, mainly 19th-century, C/R/4. Until 1927 the Surveyor acted as architect to the Council; then, on the retirement of Frederick Wood, an independent County Architect's Department was set up. For further details of the service of individuals on this list, C/T/9, service registers, 1924 - 1931 and C/R/11, registers of pay and service, 1929 - 1937.
1815 - 1845 John Cowper, appointed surveyor for County Buildings and Bridges. Salary (for buildings) £17 10s 0d per quarter, plus allowances, with further allowances for bridges.
By 1830s salary is £100 per annum.
1845 - 1854 Richard Barrett, not formally appointed surveyor, but superintends County Bridges as required, for allowances.
1854 - 1874 James Barrett, appointed surveyor of County Bridges, salary £50 per annum (inclusive of travelling expenses).
[In 1867 the Finance Committee considered the appointment of a full County Surveyor for Buildings and Bridges, but in the event appointed Henry Card for Buildings only, salary £100 per annum plus travelling at 3d per mile.]
1874 - 1898 Henry Card takes on Bridges as well. Salary now £150 per annum plus travelling at 3d per mile.
Jun 1898 - Oct 1927 Frederick J Wood, appointed County Surveyor, salary £400 per annum (by 1908 is £650). For his application for the post, with testimonials, see C/C/64/56B.
Oct 1927 - Nov 1955 Maj H E Lunn, appointed County Surveyor at a salary of £1,000. Formerly Deputy County Surveyor; retires at age of 67 after extension of service. Awarded the OBE, 1955. Wife Edith Mary Shorthouse Lunn of Priory Cresent, 1929 and Brighton Road, 1933, Lewes.
Nov 1955 - Mar 1974 M C Leney, appointed at £2, 250. Former Deputy County Surveyor of Kent. His annual reports 1956 - 1973 are at C/R/1