Records of the 1st Battalion, 1911-1939; 1st Battalion digest of service and depositions, 1688-1909; records of the 2nd Battalion, 1858-1942; 5th Battalion book of remembrance; enlistment records, 1903-1941; officers of the 3rd Battalion, 1914-1918; regimental marriage register; muster rolls; regimental files; Regimental Gazettes, 1893-2002; contemporary card index of Prisoners of War, 1940-1945; Second World War diaries and service journals; loose photographs and photograph albums from 1855; Green Howards Association roll of members
|Administrative / biographical background:
The regiment was first raised in Devon in November 1688, for service in Ireland under William, Prince of Orange, and another regiment was raised some four months later, when a further 18 foot regiments were formed. The two subsequently coming under the same commander, were known as the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the 19th Regiment of Foot. It was in 1744 that the regiment, which was called, as was general practice, after its Colonel, the Honourable Charles Howard, first became known as the 'Green Howards'. This was to distinguish it from another regiment serving in the same campaign, commanded by a different Colonel Howard. The colour of the regiments' uniform facings was used as the distinguishing feature, thus bringing about the Green Howards and the Buff Howards.
The regiment was first affiliated to the North Riding of Yorkshire in 1782 when it was granted the title of The 19th (First Yorkshire North Riding Regiment) of Foot, and in 1920 the title became finally The Green Howards (Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment). Richmond became the regiment's base in 1873.
The regiment saw active service in Ireland in 1690 and subsequent campaigns include those in Flanders, Belle Isle, the American War of Independence, Ceylon, the Crimea, the North West Frontier, the South African War, the two World Wars, Malaya, Egypt and Cyprus, Northern Ireland, the Falkland Islands and the Gulf War.
The 2nd Battalion was disbanded in 1956.
The Green Howards Museum in Richmond houses the regiment's collection of objects dating from 1680, including 3,000 medals, 300 uniforms, firearms and edged weapons, regimental and town silver, furniture made by Robert 'Mousey' Thompson of Kilburn, paintings, and books. A comprehensive index of all names mentioned in the regimental gazettes is under way.