Catalogue of the records of Edmund Kirby & Sons architects and surveyors, Liverpool by C J Williams
This record is held by Liverpool Record Office
|Title:||Catalogue of the records of Edmund Kirby & Sons architects and surveyors, Liverpool by C J Williams|
EDMUND KIRBY & SONS:
Diaries and notebooks
Acts of Parliament
Works of reference
Edmund Kirby Trust
Office staff, expenses, etc
Reports and valuations
Personal files and papers
ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CHARTERED SURVEYORS
NATIONAL COAL BOARD
Cheshire County Council
Crag estate of Earl of Derby
Leverhulme estate: general
Birkenhead: Extension Bill
Birkenhead: workhouse and hospital
Birkenhead: streets (in alphabetical order)
Bollington (nr Macclesfield)
Chester: St Werburgh's Roman
Catholic church and schools
Chester: St Francis's Roman
Chester Northgate Brewery Co
Chorlton by Backford
Hoylake: St Hildeburgh's
Roman Catholic church
Hoylake: St John the Baptist's
Hoylake: St Catherine's Roman
Hoylake: Dormy Cottage
Hoylake: Royal Liverpool
Neston: St Mary and St Helen's church
Neston: St Winefride's church and school
Neston: Hinderton Hall estate
Neston: other properties
Poulton cum Spital
Runcorn: St Edward's Roman
Catholic church and schools
Runcorn: Crofton Lodge
Runcorn: other properties
Stockport: Roman Catholic
Church of Our Lady
Stockport: St Joseph's Roman Catholic church
Stockport: Shaw Heath workhouse
Thornton le Moors
Wallasey Embankment Trust
Wallasey: New Brighton,
Wallasey: streets (in alphabetical order)
West Kirby: St Agnes's
Roman Catholic church and schools
West Kirby: other properties
Earl of Derby's estates
Ashton in Makerfield
Ashton under Lyne
Barrow in Furness
Bootle: streets (in alphabetical order)
Chorley: St Gregory's church
Chorley: Church of the
Chorley: other properties
Crosby: Ince Blundell Hall
Crosby: other properties
Huyton: Presbyterian church
Huyton: other properties
Kirkby: St Chad's
Kirkby: other properties
Liverpool: brewers and
Liverpool docks: general
Liverpool: individual docks
Liverpool: Speke airport
Liverpool: Speke Hall
Liverpool: Everton Tunnel
Liverpool: Mersey Tunnel
Liverpool: streets (in
Lytham St Anne's
Newton le Willows
Southport: Birkdale (or
Southport: Convent of Notre
Southport: other properties
Warrington: Extension Bill
Whitley & Co
Warrington: Joseph Crosfield & Son
Warrington: S Aston & Son
Warrington: other properties
Widnes: St Mary's Roman
Widnes: William Gossage & Sons
Widnes: other properties
Wigan and Leigh assessment areas
Wigan: St Joseph's Roman
Catholic church and schools
Wigan: cotton mills
Wigan: St Patrick's schools and club
Wigan: other properties
Shrewsbury: cathedral and schools
Shrewsbury: Royal Salop Infirmary
Bolton by Bowland
York: Union Bank
York: St Olave's church
Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd
ISLE OF MAN
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
The great majority of the records relate to individual properties, and consequently the arrangement of the collection is by place, using pre-1974 county boundaries. Within the larger towns-Liverpool, Birkenhead, Wallasey and Bootle-the records are further arranged by street. A small collection of early drawings retained by the firm is described in an Appendix.
|Held by:||Liverpool Record Office, not available at The National Archives|
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
This catalogue has been prepared with the aid of grants from the British Library and Edmund Kirby & Sons
|Selection and destruction information:||
About one third of the records, mostly files from the 1930s to the 1960s, was judged to be not worth preserving as archives, and was discarded, following consultation with the firm. The rejected items included many records relating to smaller commissions, and minor additions and alterations to properties, repairs and maintenance, although a small selection was made to illustrate this aspect of the firm's work. For a time Edmund Kirby & Sons acted for Shell-Mex & BP Ltd in surveying and valuing garages bought up by that firm, and building and maintaining new service stations. Here also a policy was adopted of making a small selection of these. Many sale catalogues of properties were sent to the firm, and survived in the records. While all those relating to Liverpool were kept, others have been transferred to the appropriate local record office. Lastly, it should be mentioned that some early drawings by Edmund Kirby, especially tracings, are in need of conservation work, and cannot be produced until this has been done.
|Unpublished finding aids:||
Records held in offices of Edmund Kirby & Sons
Although the great majority of the firm's records up to the 1960s have been deposited in the Liverpool Record Office, a small number has been retained in their offices in India Buildings. These records are described in the list which follows. They are, unless otherwise indicated, stored flat in portfolios, and consist of architectural drawings. The contents of this list have not been included in the index.
1 Oil portrait of Edmund Kirby. nd [late 19th c](framed).
2 'Miscellaneous ecclesiastical drawings', including St Edmund's church, Runcorn, windows for St Nicholas's Pro-Cathedral, Liverpool, 1947, St Ignatius', Preston, 1895, Birkenhead Priory Chapter House, 1914, nd. 1866-1947 (1 portfolio).
3 Sundry items, including residence at Noctorum for G H Haram, 1877; alterations at Brook House, Blackburn, 1880s; 10 Seymour Street, Liverpool, c1900; details of house at Howbeck Road, Oxton, c1900; 13 Devonshire Place, Lt-Col Steel, 1887; and new premises for Liverpool Stock Room Co, School Lane, 1909 (1 portfolio).
4 'Edmund Kirby's reference material': drawings (printed) of architectural features and buildings in Britain and overseas (many relating to Liverpool) from The Draughtsman's Sketch Book, The Builder, The Architect, Building News, etc. 1881-1913 (1 portfolio).
5 Bills sent to EK. 1887-8 (1 portfolio).
6 Drawings (printed) from The Builder and photographs of EK's churches and other buildings (some unidentified). 1893-1960s (3 portfolios, and many loose).
7 Wall panelling and tapestry designs [?for Reform Club]. nd [late 19th c] (1 item).
8 Competition drawings for unidentified hospital. nd [c1900] (1 portfolio).
9 'Design unknown date' for tracery [by E B Kirby]. nd [early 20th c] (1 item).
10 Appleton Thorn church. 1886 (1 portfolio).
11 Birkenhead Union Workhouse: new board offices. 1901-3 (1 portfolio).
12 Birkenhead Workhouse: new wards. 1909 (6 portfolios).
Birkenhead: Beckwith Street
13 St Laurence's schools, Birkenhead. 1865-6 (4 portfolios).
Birkenhead: Bidston Road
14 Oxton: residence for Alfred Billson, esq. 1877-85 (2 portfolios).
Birkenhead: Hamilton Square
15 Birkenhead Town Hall: memorial tablets to memory of men of
Cheshire Volunteers killed in South African War. 1902 (2 portfolios).
Birkenhead: Howbeck Road
16 Howbeck Road, Oxton: new residence. 1909 (1 portfolio).
Birkenhead: Noctorum Lane
17 Noctorum, Birkenhead: sale particulars of Mere Hall, 1925, and photograph of billiard room, nd. 1925, nd (2 items).
Birkenhead: Park Road
18 Park Road, Birkenhead: Bank Buildings. nd [late 19th c] (1 item).
Birkenhead: Price Street
19 Price Street, Birkenhead: proposed new infants' school. 1932 (1 item).
Birkenhead: Slatey Road
20 [Slatey Road, Birkenhead]: Williamson Art Gallery. 1914 (1 item, framed).
21 [Slatey Road, Birkenhead]: Williamson Library competition drawings. 1914 (1 portfolio).
Birkenhead: Taylor Street
22 Taylor Street, Birkenhead: new stables, etc, for Mr McGetrick. 1891 (1 item).
Birkenhead: Wexford Road
23 Wexford Road, Oxton: new house for R W Brown, esq. 1899 (2 portfolios).
24 Burton: new house for R A L Billson. 1928 (1 portfolio).
25 St Mary's schools, Congleton: plan of proposed additions and alterations. 1905-6 (2 items).
26 Church of Our Lady, Ellesmere Port. 1930 (1 portfolio).
27 Meols Parade, Hoylake: Higher Elementary School. nd [c1900] (1 portfolio).
28 Birkenhead Road, Hoylake: St Catherine's new church. 1925-6 (2 portfolios).
29 St Paul's church, Hyde: reredos, by E B Kirby. nd [?1920s].
30 Windle Hill, Hinderton: house for G P Gamon, esq, by E B Kirby. nd [early 20th c].
31 Neston tomb: [mausoleum with elaborate canopy, by E B Kirby]. nd [?1911].
32 St Wilfrid's Catholic church, Northwich. 1864-5 (2 portfolios).
33 St Wilfrid's church, Northwich: presbytery. 1866 (2 items).
34 Port Sunlight houses [for Lever Bros]: sundry details. 1897 (1 portfolio).
35 Port Sunlight: group of three cottages for Lever Bros. 1898 (1 portfolio).
36 Primrose Hill, Port Sunlight: group of six cottages for Lever Bros. 1898-9 (1 portfolio).
37 Poulton schools: plan of proposed enlargements. nd [c1900].
38 Church of Our Lady and St Christopher, Romiley: altar. 1931-2 (1 portfolio).
39 St Joseph's Schools, Sale. 1898 (1 portfolio).
40 Edgeley Schools: details of Chapel Street front. nd [c1900] (1 item).
Wallasey: Dalmorton Road
41 Dalmorton Road, New Brighton: new schools. 1907-8, nd (6 portfolios).
Wallasey: Havelock Street
42 [?Havelock Street]: Seacombe land and Mallaby right of light case. 1903 (1 portfolio).
Wallasey: Ilford Avenue
43 Somerville Schools, Seacombe. 1910-11 (1 portfolio).
Wallasey: Manor Road
44 Manor Road Board Schools, Liscard. 1908 (1 portfolio).
Wallasey: Mill Lane
45 St Alban's Schools, Mill Lane, Liscard. 1908 (2 portfolios).
46 St Alban's church, Liscard. 1923-4 (1 portfolio).
47 St Alban's church, Liscard: font. 1924 (1 item).
Wallasey Road, Wallasey
48 Wallasey Road, Wallasey: proposed new Boot Inn. nd [c1900] (1 portfolio).
49 New church, West Kirby. 1897 (1 portfolio).
50 Church of the Sacred Heart, Whaley Bridge: new presbytery. 1924 (1 portfolio).
51 Mill for Crosfields & Bodey, Avonmouth. 1959 (1 item).
52 [St Gregory's Roman Catholic church], Weld Bank, Chorley: reredos.
1890 (1 portfolio).
53 Industrial schools, Eccles. nd [late 19th c] (3 items).
54 St George's School, Freshfield: additions and alterations. nd [?1920s] (2 items).
55 Knowsley Cottage, Huyton, by Alfred Culshaw. 1890-1 (1 portfolio).
56 Mosscroft Farm Estate, Huyton, for Unit Estates. 1947 (1 portfolio).
57 Duke's Dock, Liverpool: warehouses. nd [c1900] (1 portfolio).
58 Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouses. 1901 (2 portfolios).
Liverpool: Abercromby Square
59 6 Abercromby Square, Liverpool: house for Sir Edward R Russell. 1891-5 (3 portfolios).
Liverpool: Arnot Street
60 Arnot Street, Liverpool: school for Walton on the Hill School Board. 1883-4 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Ashton Street
61 37-9 Ashton Street, Liverpool: alterations to nurses' home for
Liverpool Royal Infirmary. 1913-15 (2 portfolios).
Liverpool: Bold Street
62 Bold Street, Liverpool: Barclays Bank. 1954 (1 item).
63 34 Bold Street, Liverpool: premises for M'Kenzie & Co, by A Culshaw. 1892 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Brunswick Road
64 Brunswick Road, [Liverpool]: Roman Catholic Blind Asylum, by William Culshaw & Son. 1874-6 (1 portfolio).
65 [Brunswick Road, Liverpool]: temporary premises for J Baker & Co, Ltd [outfitters]. 1947 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Catharine Street
66 Liverpool & Samaritan Hospital for Women. nd [?1920s] (8 items).
Liverpool: Chapel Street
67 Chapel Street, Liverpool: various drawings of Hamilton Buildings. 1895, nd (8 items).
68 [Chapel Street, Liverpool]: photograph of Richmond House by E Chambré Hardman. nd [1970s].
Liverpool: Church Alley
69 Church Alley, Liverpool: new premises for Liverpool Stockroom Co. nd [c1900](1 portfolio).
70 Church Alley, Liverpool: new [office] premises. nd [early 20th c].
Liverpool: Church Street
71 59-65 Church Street and Parker Street, Liverpool. 1886 (1 item).
Liverpool: Cook Street
72 Cook Street, Liverpool: Union Buildings [offices of EK]. 1877-81 (9 portfolios).
Liverpool: Copperas Hill
73 Copperas Hill, Liverpool: St Nicholas Catholic Schools. 1932 (1 item).
Liverpool: Dale Street
74 [31 Dale Street, Liverpool]: George Hotel site, detail of new offices. 1876 (1 item).
75 Dale Street, Liverpool: Reform Club. 1876-1884 (including papers, etc, to 1932) (2 portfolios).
Liverpool: Dawson Street
76 Dawson Street, [Liverpool]: warehouses. 1904-5 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Dover Street
77 Dover Street, Liverpool: nurses' home, by A C[ulshaw]. 1889 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Gilbert Street
78 Gilbert Street, Liverpool: St Peter's Schools. 1871 (framed).
Liverpool: Hawke Street
79 St Nicholas's Pro-Cathedral, Liverpool: proposed alterations to baptistery. nd [1950s] (1 item).
Liverpool: Holly Road
80 12 Holly Road, Liverpool: air-raid shelter for Our Lady's Convent. 1940 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Hunter Street
81 Hunter Street, Liverpool: property of James Mellor & Sons Ltd. 1937 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Islington Flags
82 9 & 11 Islington Flags, Liverpool: licensed premises. 1885 (3 items).
Liverpool: Longmoor Lane
83 Longmoor Lane, Fazakerley: proposed tuberculosis sanatorium for city of Liverpool. nd [c1900] (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Lord Street
84 59-61 Lord Street, Liverpool: business premises. 1882 (1 portfolio).
85 63 Lord Street, Liverpool: Liverpool Investment Building Society building. 1886 (1 portfolio).
86 63 Lord Street, Liverpool: details of masonry. 1886 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Mercer Court
87 140 Mercer Court, Liverpool: premises for Liverpool Printing & Stationery Co. 1912 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Mossley Hill Road
88 Holmfield House, Aigburth, for T B Royden, esq, by W Culshaw & Sons, and A Culshaw. 1876-95 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: North John Street
89 North John Street and Cook Street, Liverpool: shops and offices. 1882 (1 portfolio).
90 14 North John Street, Liverpool: alterations to shops. 1911 (6 items).
Liverpool: Old Mill Lane
91 Olive Mount, Wavertree: various buildings. 1898 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Old Hall Street
92 Old Hall Street, [Liverpool]: premises for Richard Brown. 1879 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Overbury Street
93 St Ann's church, Edge Hill, [Liverpool]. 1870-4 (1 portfolio).
94 St Ann's church, Edge Hill: new sacristy and organ loft. 1873 (1 item).
95 St Ann's schools, Edge Hill, Liverpool. nd [c1900].
Liverpool: Pembroke Place
96 Liverpool Royal Infirmary: alterations and nurses's homes. 1911 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Rumford Street
97 Rumford Street, Liverpool: offices for H B H Blundell, esq, by W Culshaw. 1863 (1 portfolio).
98 9 Rumford Street, Liverpool: details of Peter's Buildings. 1901-7 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Salisbury Street
99 St Francis Xavier's church, Liverpool. 1885 (5 portfolios).
Liverpool: St Mary's Road
100 Bank of Liverpool, Garston branch [130 St Mary's Road], by A Culshaw. 1903 (2 portfolios).
Liverpool: Sandfield Park
101 St Edward's College, Sandfield Park, West Derby. 1937 (2 portfolios).
Liverpool: School Lane
102 Hillfoot, Woolton: details of carving on panels. 1909 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Scotland Road
103 127 Scotland Road, Liverpool: details of public house. 1906 (1 item).
Liverpool: Seel Street
104 Seel Street, Liverpool: E & T S Young's distillery, by W Culshaw. 1855-6 (1 portfolio).
Liverpool: Silvester Street
105 Silvester Street, Liverpool: details of cills for schools. 1871 (1 item).
Liverpool: Smithdown Road
106 Smithdown Road, [Liverpool]: branch of Bank of Liverpool, by A Culshaw. 1982 (2 portfolios).
Liverpool: Thomas Drive
107 Highfield Infirmary, Liverpool: dispensary fittings. nd [c1900].
Liverpool: Victoria Street
108 Imperial Buildings, Liverpool: aerial photograph. nd [1960s].
Liverpool: Walton Breck Road
109 Walton Breck Road, [Liverpool]: proposed shops and houses for Christopher Kearns, esq. nd [c1899](1 portfolio).
110 Whitechapel and Victoria Street, Liverpool: London & Midland Bank, by J B Whinney. 1898 (1 portfolio).
111 Whitechapel and Stanley Street, Liverpool: proposed New York Buildings for J C Baker, esq. nd [c1900] (1 item).
112 Priest's House, Parbold. 1881 (1 portfolio).
113 St Ignatius's church, Preston. 1895 (framed).
114 Rainhill, residence for Henry Baxter, esq. 1878 (5 portfolios).
115 Southport and Pier: plan showing Alexandra Pier. nd [late 19thc] (1 item).
116 St Mary's schools, Widnes: extensions. 1881 (1 item).
117 Holbeach war memorial. 1919 (1 portfolio).
118 Shrewsbury cathedral. 1872, nd (2 portfolios).
119 Royal Salop Infirmary, Shrewsbury. 1923-5 (1 portfolio).
120 SS Michael & James's church, Haunton, near Tamworth: presbytery. 1903 (1 portfolio).
121 St John's church, Tamworth: proposed additions and alterations. 1909 (1 portfolio).
122 St Matthew's, Rugby: interior of new chancel. nd [c1900] (2 items, framed).
123 Levens Hotel, Kendal: plans. 1937 (3 items).
124 Duncombe Place, York: new buildings [York Dispensary]. nd [c1896] (1 portfolio).
125 York Union Bank. 1902 (7 portfolios).
126 New [Roman Catholic] church, Llandudno. 1891 (2 items).
127 Chirk: memorial for Lady Trevor, Brynkinalt. 1905 (1 portfolio).
128 St Mary's Catholic Schools, Wrexham. 1868 (1 item).
129 Ship Inn, Flint. 1924 (5 items).
130 Plas Annie, Mold: entrance lodge for Edward Thompson. 1875 (1 portfolio).
131 Pantasaph: convent for St Francis' Orphanage. 1867 (1 portfolio).
|Administrative / biographical background:||
Edmund Kirby, the founder of the firm whose records are described in this volume, was born in Liverpool, the eldest of three sons, on 8 April 1838. A Roman Catholic, he was educated at Sedgeley Park School and Oscott College. Before training as an architect he studied at the Royal Academy schools, and while a student in London he designed scenery for a production of Shakespeare's Henry IV by the actor, Charles Kean. Kirby was articled to the architect Edward Welby Pugin (son of A W N Pugin). He later worked for the firm of Hardman & Co, ecclesiastical designers, and for John Douglas, the Chester architect.
Various dates in the 1860s have been given for Edmund Kirby's commencement in practice on his own account. His signatures on early drawings in this collection suggest that he practised in Birkenhead (perhaps in his own house) in the years 1863-5. See drawings of Birkenhead public library (720KIR/638) and St Wilfrid's church, Northwich (720KIR/1094). By January 1866 he was at work in Derby Buildings, 24 Fenwick Street, Liverpool, his office for many years. 720KIR/1094. In 1878 he moved to offices in Union Buildings, Cook Street, which had just been completed to his own design. There the firm remained until 1965, when it moved to State House, Dale Street, which also had been built to the firm's design. Information from Edmund Kirby & Sons. Its offices are now in India Buildings, Liverpool.
Edmund Kirby married, in 1873, Rose Anne, daughter of Benjamin Dodsworth of Burton Croft, York. He lived in Birkenhead, latterly in Shrewsbury Road, where in 1905 his wife died. Obituary of EK in Liverpool Post and Mercury, 26 Apr 1920. He had three sons. Two of them, Francis J Kirby and Edmund Bertram Kirby, joined him in the firm. The third, Edward Dodsworth Kirby, became a solicitor and later a Roman Catholic priest. Obituary of E D Kirby in Liverpool Evening Express, 9 Jun 1954.
As a Roman Catholic, Edmund Kirby undertook a number of commissions for the church throughout his years in practice. The Roman Catholic Bishop of Shrewsbury, in an address at Kirby's funeral, stated that he had designed fourteen churches for the diocese of Shrewsbury alone, altered or improved eight others, and built fifteen Roman Catholic schools. The records of the firm have been exceptionally well preserved. The Liverpool Record Office holds the records of two other Liverpool architects, but in neither case do their records approach either in quantity or quality those of Edmund Kirby & Sons. The collection catalogued in this volume consists of nearly 3,700 items contained in 690 archive boxes, and is one of the biggest collections in the record office. Unlike many architects, Edmund Kirby folded his drawings, and kept them together with the correspondence and papers relating to the building. There are very few rolled plans. This may have made the records easier to store, and so explain their remarkable survival. However, some of the firm's administrative records, such as the first hundred letter books, up to 1932, have not survived. Possibly they were sent for salvage during the Second World War. Early records of the firm, apart from those relating to individual buildings, are few, but they include one diary of Edmund Kirby for 1868,720KIR/1. and some out-letter books for 1879-83. 720KIR/32-8. On the other hand, the records document many buildings by Kirby which are not mentioned in the Pevsner Buildings of England series. Much of his work was in Liverpool, the north-west of England and north Wales. It included churches (Anglican as well as Roman Catholic), schools, hospitals and workhouse buildings, houses, ranging from elaborate 'stockbrokers' palaces' in Birkenhead to cottages for Lever Bros in Port Sunlight, public houses, banks and other commercial buildings. But the collection also includes items relating to a house and church in south Wales (Glen Trothy near Abergavenny, and St Illtyd's Roman Catholic church in Dowlais, near Merthyr), a major bank in York, and competition drawings for a cathedral in Cork.
Edmund Kirby practised both as an architect and a surveyor, and was joined by his two sons, each trained in one discipline. Francis J Kirby was a surveyor, who worked for the firm from 1905 to 1934. For eleven years he was valuer to the Mersey Tunnel Joint Committee, which work is well reflected in records in this collection. He also acted for the Earl of Derby, Wallasey Embankment Trust and many local industries. In 1934 he became an official arbitrator under the Acquisition of Land Act. He died in 1945, aged 71. Obituary in Liverpool Post, 13 Aug 1945. There are many records in this volume relating to surveyor's work of his time and later, including papers concerning the valuation of properties of breweries throughout the north-west, and commercial buildings in Liverpool and elsewhere. Many files relate to the wartime requisitioning of properties, air-raid precautions, and repair of bomb damage, particularly in Liverpool and Birkenhead. The firm valued colliery properties in Lancashire and north Wales, nationalized in 1946. A director of the firm was for a time secretary of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, Lancashire, Cheshire and Isle of Man branch, which explains the presence of early minutes and other records of the branch in this collection.
Edmund Kirby's son Edmund Bertram trained as an architect, and joined the firm in 1901, remaining a partner until his retirement in 1947. He died in 1953, aged 71. Obituary in Liverpool Daily Post, 27 March 1953. His work on houses, churches, hospitals and schools is also well represented in the collection.