The Shorthouse and Evans's were Quaker families of Birmingham and Neath, in South Wales. The Englehearts - the last of the three - bought Little Clarendon in Dinton in 1901 and gave it to the National Trust in the 1940's. Mrs. Mary Engleheart née Evans, whose godfather was J.H. Shorthouse was born into a Quaker family, but later in life converted to Roman Catholicism and died at Little Clarendon in 1948, where her husband the Rev. G.H. Engleheart had become a successful breeder of daffodils between 1901 and 1936, the year of his death.