Catalogue description Parish of Preston St Augustine

This record is held by East Sussex Record Office

Details of PAR455
Reference: PAR455
Title: Parish of Preston St Augustine
Description:

The site was given by Mr and Mrs Vere Benett-Stanford, and a priest-in-charge was appointed in 1894. The first services took place in an iron church on the site, which was sold to Mayfield for use as a parish room in 1902. The present building was designed by Granville Edward Stewart Streatfeild; the foundation stone was laid on 24 October 1895 by Lady Louise Loder. The nave was consecrated on 24 October 1896, and the builders were Longley and Sons. Streatfeild was also responsible for the chancel. Building works for this commenced in 1913, and it was consecrated on 22 July 1914; the builders were Martin and Son of Eastbourne. The planned west tower was never built.

 

Part of the parish of The Resurrection Brighton, which included the church of St Saviour, was transferred to the parish in January 1978, and the parish was then called St Augustine with St Saviour. St Saviour's was declared redundant in 1981 and demolished in 1983. St Augustine's was closed in 2003, and there are plans (June 2003) to sell it.

 

Contents

 

INCUMBENT

 

PAR455/1/2 Baptism registers; 1894-2002

 

PAR455/1/3 Marriage registers; 1898-2002

 

PAR455/1/4 Banns registers; 1898-2002

 

PAR455/1/6 Confirmation records; 1931-2002

 

PAR455/2 Records relating to the registers; 1946-1958

 

PAR455/3 Service registers; 1894-2003

 

PAR455/4 Buildings; 1897-1990s

 

PAR455/5 Licences, institutions and inductions; 1906-1953

 

PAR455/6 Income of the benefice; 1902-1977

 

PAR455/7 Incumbent's other papers;1896-2002

 

CHURCHWARDENS

 

PAR455/9 Churchwardens' accounts; 1904-1913

 

PAR455/10 Churchwardens' property records; 1926-2002

 

PAR455/11 Churchwardens' papers; 1912-1915

 

VESTRY

 

PAR455/12 Vestry minutes; 1899-1940

 

PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL

 

PAR455/14 Parochial Church Council minutes; 1920-2003

 

PAR455/15 Parochial Church Council accounts;1927-1948

 

PAR455/16 Parochial Church Council: other records; 1997-1998

 

RECORDS OF OTHER CHURCH ORGANISATIONS

 

PAR455/26/1 St Augustine's Ladies Association; 1897-1964

 

PAR455/26/2 Records of the 100 Club; 1993-2002

Date: 1894-2002
Related material:

For plans of the church, 10 Jun 1895 see DB/D 7/4172; for records relating to the history of the church, see PAR455/7/3; for records of the parish of St Saviour, see PAR459

Held by: East Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Creator:

Church of England, Preston St Augustine Parish, East Sussex

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the incumbent and PCC, 15 April 1982 (ACC 2818), 24 October 1986 (ACC 4736), and by Diocesan Church House, 27 June 2003 (ACC 8823)

Subjects:
  • Preston, East Sussex
  • Religious institutions

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research