Saint John, Saint John's Wood: Westminster
This record is held by London Metropolitan Archives: City of London
|Title:||Saint John, Saint John's Wood: Westminster|
Registers of burials
Burial fee books
Register of monuments and graves
Registers of baptisms
Registers of marriages
Register of confirmations
Registers of banns of marriage
Church service registers
Transfer of St John's Wood Chapel from St Marylebone to Christ Church
Licence for solemnisation of marriages
Parochial Church Council
Christ Church School
Christ Church charities
History of St John's Wood Church
Papers of Henry Mills
|Date:||1814 - 1971|
The parish records of St Stephen's dating from before the defacto union of 1948 have been listed separately with the reference P81/STE1 and the records of St John's Wood Chapel have been listed as a continuous series with the records of St John's Wood Parish.
|Held by:||London Metropolitan Archives: City of London, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||157 documents|
Original references (P..) or xerox copy references (R..) have to be ordered
Microfilms (X..) are available in the Reference Room
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
Additional parish records of St John's Wood Church, formerly St John's Wood Chapel deposited by the Vicar in the Greater London Record Office, 17 November 1978 (Ac. 78.63)
Parish records deposited by the Rector of St Marylebone 12 June 1959.
|Administrative / biographical background:||
St John's Wood Chapel was built in 1814 as a chapel of ease to St Marylebone parish church and to serve the new burial ground adjoining it. In 1898 it became a chapel of ease to Christ Church, Cosway Street. In March 1952 St John's Wood Chapel was transferred to the parish of St Stephen the Martyr, Avenue Road, Portland Town and replaced St Stephen's Church as parish church. The name of the parish was changed to St John's Wood in September 1952.
For registers of burials in St John's Wood burial ground, see St Marylebone parish church.
St John's Wood Chapel was built in 1814 as a chapel of ease to St Marylebone parish church and to serve the new burial ground adjoining it. In 1898 it became a chapel of ease to Christ Church, Cosway Street, served by its own minister until the 1920s. In 1932 the Rector of Christ Church moved from Christ Church House into St John's House and St John's appears to have become increasingly the centre of parochial administration to which were added in February 1941 the parishes of St Stephen the Martyr, Avenue Road, and St Barnabas, Bell Street. Consequently the records of St John's for these years include many items relating to Christ Church and some to the other two parishes.
The scheme for the parochial reorganisation of St Marylebone published in 1945 proposed that St John's Wood Chapel should be transferred to St Stephen's Parish and should replace St Stephen's Church as the parish church of the new parish. The Bishop of London closed St Stephen's Church from 31 October 1945 and asked St Stephen's Parochial Church Council to recognise St John's Wood Chapel as their parish church without waiting for a formal legal decision. When the Rector of Christ Church resigned at the end of 1947, he was replaced by two incumbents, the Rector of St Stephen with St John and the Rector of Christ Church with St Barnabas. On 1 January 1948 Christ Church balances were transferred out of the St John's ledger. The St Stephen's accounts were closed and the money was transferred to St John's, thus effectively implementing the reorganisation scheme. On 11 March 1952 an Order in Council was published retifying the reorganisation scheme. A further Order in Council on 9 September 1952 changed the name of the parish to St John's Wood.
Although legally St John's was only a chapel of ease until 1952, it had become the administrative centre of three parishes. Rather than St Stephen's parish taking over St John's Wood Church, St John's Wood Church appears to have taken over St Stephen's parish. Most of the series of the records used for St Stephen's were closed and either the St John's records were used for the new parish or a new series was started.
|Link to NRA Record:|