Catalogue description Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue V

This record is held by East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO)

Details of AMSV
Reference: AMSV
Title: Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue V

Since it opened, East Sussex Record Office has maintained a collection of 'Additional Manuscripts' for accessions which are not assigned, or are not accrued to existing collections which have, a distinctive alphabetic reference based on the collection's title. The Additional Manuscripts collection is now known as AMS


Some of these accessions added to AMS have been returned to A2A as free-standing catalogues. The residue are being returned as a series of catalogues, each covering a range of AMS numbers. The summary list below covers all the accessions within that range, with notes against those which are the subject of separate catalogues or which have been transferred to other collections or other repositories. The main body of the catalogue notes only the reference and the fact of the separate catalogue or the transfer


Summary of contents


AMS6201 73-74 Middle Street Brighton (Comber-Bennett-Izard-Nottage & Kennard), 1813-1879; 4-5 South Cliff Eastbourne (Devonshire-Peerless-Baker), 1880-1881; 64 (formerly 24 Kings Road Brighton (McWhinnie-Attree), 1838-1879; Selby Lodge 1 Lansdowne Place Hove (Scutt-Egan-Franks-Gosden), 1827-1851; 10 Montague Place Worthing (Franks-Fuller), 1851


AMS6202 Land in The Steine, Brighton (Kemp, Scrase-Nicholl), 1776-1778


AMS6203 House and 10a, copyhold of Barcombe called The Weard Lands at Cooksbridge in Barcombe, (Morris-Raynes & Aylwin), 1647


AMS6204 53 (formerly 51) Brunswick Square Hove (Scutt-Meads-Hill-Walker-Roberts-Holloway-Bell-Cleaver-Ashton-Weekes), 1726-1911; 33 Western Road Hove (Reeves-Blenkinsop), 1834-1921; abstract to Abergavenny estate in Rottingdean and Telscombe, 1922-1932; probate of Ann Heaviside of Brunswick Square Hove, 1855


AMS6205 Two cottages and land at Rotherfield, formerly part of the Hamsell and Steelbridge estate (Hollamby), 1867-1871; The White Hart Inn Guestling (Buffards als Bovis-King-Harman-Breeds), 1743-1877


AMS6206 58-60 Marina St Leonards (Cooper), 1895-1897; 2 Western Terrace Brighton (Lomer & Newman-Michau, lease), 1870-1887; Michau settlement - appointment of new trustee, 1881


AMS6207 Ballards Wood Farm (including Ketlys) in Ticehurst (Bridger-Smith-Herring-Comyn-Noakes-Cooke), 1751-1919; settlement and associated papers on the marriage of E Maude of Leylands in Crowborough and C I Pridmore of Coventry, 1884-1946; settlement and associated papers on the marriage of A Maude of Forest Edge Forest Row and K C J Lewis of Hampstead, 1889-1965; wills of Howard Elphinstone bt of the Ridge Hastings, 1847, E J Elphinstone of Eaton Place, 1847, 1850


AMS6208 Court Rolls, Manor of Moorhall in Ninfield, 1472-1475


AMS6209 Sales Particulars from A T Underwood, Three Bridges, Crawley: Freezeland Farm Bexhill, 1948; Tower House Withdean Brighton, (Savage), 1934, (Berryman), 1937; Hollyhurst Burwash, 1935; Southover estate (Southover Hall, Ponts and Holton Farms) Burwash, 1944; Sleeches in Buxted, c1935; Mount Pleasant Farm Chalvington (Cunliffe-Owen), 1951; St Elliotts Farm estate Crowborough, 1931; Woodhatch Crowbrough, 1951; Crowborough Warren estate (Warren Hotel, Ocklye House and cottage, Knoll Lodge, Home, Kings Standing, Old Mil, New Mill, Ocklye, Crabtree and Brown Knoll Farms and Heavegate Cottages and 9 cottages in Buxted and Withyham, 1951; Crowhurst Park estate (Crowhurst Park, Breadsell, Park, Stonebridge Pyes and Brakes Coppice Farms in Battle and Crowhurst), 1942; Court Lodge, Sampsons, Green Street Farms with cottages in Crowhurst and Hollington and marsh in Hooe, 1944; Brooklands House and Farm, Larches and Glovers Cottages in Dallington, 1933; Friston Court East Dean, 1939; Manor House West Dean (Walker), 1946; Beacon Nursery Ditchling, 1927; Abergavenny estate (Ditchling Court Farm and cottages, Wick Farm and Bungalow Farm Ditchling, Landport Farm and cottages, Hope in the Valley Riding School in Lewes, Court Farm estate and cottages in West Blatchington), 1939; Ricksteddle in Ditchling, 1947; Lye Mead in Ditchling, 1953; New Morgay Farm Ewhurst, 1927; Old Stonelynk Farm Fairlight, 1948; Fairlight Lodge, 1948; Woodlands Fairwarp (Cox), 1948; Yew Tree Court Forest Row, 1931; The White House Forest Row, 1931; remainder of the Kidbrooke Park estate (South Lodge, Home Farm, Brambletye Farm, Brambletye Castle and land), 1939; Domaha Forest Row, 1940; Mudbrooks Farm Forest Row, 1948; Brownings Manor Framfield (Brownings, farm, cottages, Lowlands Farm and cottages, Woodland View, another cottage and land), 1922; Old Stonebridge Framfield, 1936; Lowlands Blackboys, c1933; Ely Grange Frant (house, Old Priory, farm and cottages), 1939; Wilderness Farm Hadlow Down, 1953; Hamsey House, 1951; Hammerwood estate (Little, Bank, Scarletts Farms in Hartfield) with other property in East Grinstead and Cowden Kent, 1918; Gatwick Brook East Grinstead, 1933; Lower Holwych estate in Hartfield and Withyham, 1926; Six Larches in Hartfield, 1932; Bolebroke in Hartfield, 1948; Hammerways and Briarwood in Hartfield, 1948; The Weald House Heathfield, 1935; Tottingworth Park estate (Oak Hall, White Cottage, White Oaks, The Annexe, Home Farm, Mission Hall, Polo Ground, Greenwoods, Lucks, Stoneywood Cottage, Bingletts Wood, Branxholme, Brailsham Cottage) in Heathfield, 1946; Five Firs Herstmonceux, 1937; Fir Grove East Hoathly, 1938; Great Ailies estate (Buckewood, Great Ailies, Tourles and Hesmonds) in East Hoathly, 1946; Holmes Farm Hooe, 1951; Millcroft Horam, 1938; St Johns Lodge 22 Salisbury Road Hove, nd; Boathouse Farm and cottages, Isfield, 1947; Little Hindleape Maresfield (Staunton), 1951; Homstall Farm Mayfield, 1933; Sharnden Manor estate Mayfield, 1935; Great Todgers Farm Mayfield, 1951; Allens Farm Mayfield, 1951; Twitts Ghyll Mayfield, 1963; Reedens Chailey, 1935; Standard Hill Farm estate with brick and tile factory in Ninfield, 1938; High Park estate in Northiam, 1966; The Old House Funnells Farm Nutley, 1951; Erskine Lodge Plumpton (Dickson), 1951; Elm Court Ringmer, c1940; Ryngmer Park Ringmer, c1950; Boscobel Poultry Farm Robertsbridge, c1950; Northease in Rodmell, 1939; The Lane House Rotherfield (Jennings [?Jekyll]), 1930; parts of the Hamsell estate in Rotherfield, Crowborough and Withyham (Leyswood, Dower House, Motts Fann Eridge, Forge and Pinstraws Farms Rotherfield, Tanyard and Birchden Cottages, Goldsmiths Arms and Park Corner Cottages Groombridge, Cobbarn Farm, Railway Hotel, Renby Farm, Lodge, Grange and Lake House, Eridge, Laurel Tree and Newmans Farm and New Cottages, Boarshead, Laurel Tree Cottages, Steel Cross Cottage, Steel Cross School, Hourne and Hodges Cottages Steel Cross, Luxfords Farm and Brickyard Cottages, Summersales and Ades Farms Crowborough, Beacon Hill estate development Crowborough), 1938; remaining parts of the Hamsell estate in Rotherfield, Crowborough and Withyham (Luxfords, Hourne and Hodges Farms Crowborough, Bullfinches, Stonehouse and Orznash Farms in Rotherfield and Withyham, Summersales Farm Withyham, Forge Farm and Pinstraws in Groombridge, Beacon Hill estate development), 1939; White Lodge Saltdean, 1935; Well House Seaford, 1932; Great Sanders estate Sedlescombe (home farm, Lodge, Beech Farm), 1932; Streat Place Estate (manor house, home farm, East and West Cottages, Jockeys Cottage in Streat, Hayleigh Farm, five cottages, Westmeston PLace, South and North Bank Cottages, 1 Church Cottages in Westmeston, land in Ditchling), 1946; Bardown at Ticehurst, 1931; Abbey Lea Stonegate Ticehurst, 1948; Seacox Heath Estate (Brookgate and Seacox Farms, The Nook, Keeper's House, West Lodge, Lower Lodge and Swiftsden Cottage) in Ticehurst, Etchingham, Salehurst and Hawkhurst, 1947; Rock Hall Uckfield, 1951; Foxhunt Manor Estate (Foxhunt, Scripp and Summersbrook Farms, Foxdene and a cottage) in Waldron, 1928; Bensfield Best Beech Hill Wadhurst (house and cottages, Town Gate Farm and cottages), 1935; Tappington Estate (T Farm, Grange, Turret House, Quarry Cottages and 1, 2 Spike Island) in Wadhurst, 1952; Heasmans Mead and Ashdown Farm Forest Row, 1966; typescript particulars for: Mulberry Cottage Ditchling 1948; Church Farm Spithurst 1933; Nuthurst Ditchling 1932; Flimwell Farm 1931; Cross Farm Ninfield c1930; Chitcombe Brede 1931; Oakwood Burwash Common 1932; Fairholme at Fairwarp c1930; Mill House Isfield c1930; Shortbridge Cottage Piltdown c1930; Hatch Beauchamp Withdean in Brighton 1935; Tufton Place Northiam c1930; new houses in Crowborough and Rotherfield, c1930, Kingston Manor to let, c1930; Fairlight Hall, Streat Hill Farm, Barkham Manor Piltdown, c1928; Old Mutton House Bodiam, c1930; White Cottage and Moorings North Common Chailey, 1933; Novington Manor Plumpton [East Chiltington], c1930; Court Horeham Cowbeech, c1930; White House Burwash, 1938; Saillards Ditchling, 1934; Beech Oasts Sedlescombe, c1930; Pounsley Mill Farm Blackboys, Great Conster Beckley, Pound Farm Framfield, Royston Farm Laughton, Camden Farm Best Beech Wadhurst, all 1933; Rodmell Farm, Mill Farm Laughton, Great Bucksteep Warbleton, Selmeston Court, all c1930; Great Conster Beckley, 1932; Hesmonds and Tourles East Hoathly, c1930; Bower Farm Hammerwood, Hodore Farm Hartfield, Morris Down Piltdown, Spring Gardens Farm Fairwarp, c1933; Felwood and Tivoli Withdean, Noddings Wayland Avenue Brighton, Mid Down Lodge Patcham, c1930; Culver Farm Barcombe, c1930; plan of Riddens Farm Plumpton, 1926; photographs and particulars of Shalebrook Forest Row, 1931; photographs of school at the Grange, Crowborough, c1935; Waldron House Waldron, 1963; Motcombe House Eastbourne, c1950


AMS6210 Printed centenary history of Middle Street School, Brighton, by George Haffenden, headmaster, 1905; includes work of E N Downard, former pupil


AMS6211 Archive of the Forest Row Village Hall Management Committee including centenary history, 1892-1992


AMS6212 Records of the Eastbourne Amalgamated Charities: Kettlewell (1893), Eastbourne Wellelsley Trust (1902), Emly (1859), Rawles (1949), Doig (1930), Fennell (1595) and Yeilding (1817); schemes, copy wills, accounts, correspondence, appointment of new trustees and extinguishment of rentcharges on Susans and Rodmill Farms; 1721-1982


AMS6213 31 Denmark Villas Hove (Stanford-Foulerton-Vaughan-Bennett), 1852-1924


AMS6214 Records of the Hurst Green Foundry (Messrs Albert Oakley & Son); client ledgers (including Rudyard Kipling), 1887-1925; daybooks, 1890-1923; memorandum and articles, 1926; photograph, c1945; inventory and valuation (Pierson-Oakley), 1887; particulars of sale, 1890; financial records on partition of assets, 1926


AMS6215 Letter from J M Cripps, Novington, to G Darby, regretting the result of the election and enclosing a copy of the poll-book [no longer present]; 1833


AMS6216 East Sussex Poll Book, annotated with canvass results, 1832


AMS6217 Deeds of properties at Chailey, subsequently parts of the Hooke Estate: Breens (Rice-Hollingdale), 1808; Longridge (Thompson), 1808; Wildfield Farm at North Common (Gilbert-Hobbs-Whitbourne), 1811; cottage and land at the brick-kilns, South Common (Buckwell-Blencowe), 1842-1845; house and land at South Common (Turner-Clark-Dumbrell-Isted), 1797-1818; shop and land at North Common (Hills-Millyard-Read-Carvill), 1834-1844; house and land at North Common (Martin-Goldsmith-Constable-Card), 1613-1780; houses and land at North Common (Garrett-Tasker-Ford-Hubbard; Ford-Gallard-Hubbard), 1725-1770; house near Pound House at Chailey Green (Worsell-Beard), 1776


AMS6218 Pedigree of the Dungate and Watt families, drawing descent from Richard Dungate of West Hoathly, 1539, to Susannah Watt daughter of Henry Dungate in 1841, via her great-grandson E C Watt and his niece B M Barber, 1984


AMS6219 Pedigree of the Wallis family of Withyham, drawing descent from Giles Wallis of Northants; nd, c1826


AMS6220 Relisted as AMS5804/1/3-5, 2/4


AMS6221 Sales particulars for Downash House, Farm and Cottages in Flimwell (Ticehurst), 1946; notes on the history of Downash House from 1861


AMS6222 Photographs of the Hastings Refuse Destructor at Rock-a-Nore, c1900


AMS6223 Archive of the trustees of the Hospital of St John the Baptist, Westham: Charity Commission papers and Schemes, 1850-1966; trustees' minutes, 1857-1988; rent accounts, 1871-1947; building contracts, 1910 Act returns, wayleaves, letting tenders and schedule of lands, 1857-1947; returns to Charity Comission, 1854-1966; clerk's letterbooks, 1905-1948; correspondence, 1885-1888, 1897-1898, 1917; receiver's account, 1851-1857, annual reports, 1858-1947; cashbooks, 1857-1939, 1972-1975; letter describing a visit, 1889; plan of hospital lands, c1937; report of Pevensey and Westham national School, 1841; letter concerning school subscriptions (Nouaille-Sampson), 1851; Pevensey Town Trust Scheme, 1890, annual accounts, 1881, 1898, 1906, 1908; (list only): schedule of charity lands with plan, 1709, 1720, 1886


AMS6224 Archive of Henry Havelock Flowers of Hove (1892-1951) and the Jay family, 1914-1989: diary on active service with the RFA in Mesopotamia and India, 1917-1919, with photographs and letters, 1915-1916; Jay family correspondence and presscuttings; election address of G M Jay, Hove, 1898; Jay family of the Falkland Islands, 1909


AMS6225 Eastbourne Blue Beret Club (Eastbourne Civil Defence Association, Eastbourne Civil Aid Association, Eastbourne Civil Aid Service), 1946-1980


AMS6226 10 (formerly 31) Alfred Street, St Leonards (part of Wallis Field on the Eversfield estate's Gensing Farm - Eversfield-Beecham-Putland-Saxby-Parsons-Ashdown-Hutchinson), 1702-1919


AMS6227 Antiquarian collection from Raper & Co Chichester: bond, Baker of Withyham-Constable, 1673; bond, Weekes-Braban of Mountfield, 1609; Ockham House and mill in Salehurst (Tyrwhit-Upton-Batie-Braban; Bennett-Braban; Calverley-Braban), 1582-1655; Westbourne in Mountfield (Davis and Farnden-Braban), 1631-1644; Tunstall in Mountfield (Iden-Roper), 1612; Henrys Field in Brightling (Butler), 1644; Marthams, Lunsford Meads and Potters Brooks in Salehurst (Bennett-Lord; Pattenden-Braban; Lord-English-Lord - includes Friends at Northbridge Street), 1626-1657; Pumplands in Salehurst (Polhill-Peckham), 1679-1687; Ivyland in Battle (Week-Martin, 1614-1650; Nethergates in Salehurst (Baker-Potter), 1616; Vinehall and Little Cowland in Mountfield and Salehurst (settlement on the marriage of John Davis and Martha Milner), 1664; Thomas Ellaby of Rotherfield, Surrey and Bath, 1904; farm in Aldrington and Hangleton, the manor and messuage of Walhurst in Cowfold, Wymarks and Puckney in Shermanbury, Morefield in Cuckfield, cottage in Cuckfield, house and 2a in Shermanbury (settlement on the marriage of Henry Farncombe and Cassandra Gratwick Lintott), 1743; patent of Heneage Finch earl of Winchilsea as Lord Lieutenant of Kent, 1668; pasture by Kents Wood in Firle (Wacklyn-Moore), 1759; Old Farm Place (Potmans) in Catsfield (Hay & Avery-Alfrey-Markwick), 1592-1676; Church House Catsfield (Young-French), 1591; Corvesers, Michells, Marbles and Little Wades in Herstmonceux (Benbrigg-Montague), 1729; manor of Bonesmarsh otherwise Popes Marsh in Iden (Burgess-Parker), 1653; rental of the manor of Maresfield, 1801, 1804; manor of Bosneys, houses called Reeds otherwise Standens, parts of Watshewes and other houses and lands in Salehurst and Hareholt in Mayfield (settlement by William Peckham), 1668; Topsells and Coles in Isfield (Paine-Pellatt), 1675; Woodlands in Peasmarsh (Simmond-Shepherd), 1575-1655; Newmarles in Selmeston (Payne-Hammon-Jackson; Fawkner-Wade), 1637-1649; Hurstwood House (Podstream) in Wivelsfield (Hurst-Wood), 1628; marsh in East Guldeford and Denne Court and land in Kent (Poyntell-Glover), 1685; narrative of the activities of criminal clairvoyants in Hove, c1945; house at Lindfield church (Pye-Mills), 1663; croft in Northiam (Cooper-Mathye), 1598; Stonebridge and Hendlies in Rotherfield (Hurt-Turner), 1669; house N of Ticehurst church (Cruttall-Wenborne-Burges), 1641-1659; bond, Charlwood in Surrey (Dancy-Dancy), 1730


AMS6228 Printed map of Sussex by William Figg based on the Greenwood survey of 1825, 1861


AMS6229 Letters of Mark Anthony Lower to H B Godwin concerning Battle Abbey, 1856


AMS6230 Correspondence of the Francis family concerning plots at New Anzac-on-Sea, [Peacehaven], including evidence in a libel action; 1916-1917; letter to the Martin family concerning title to a plot at Peacehaven, 1960


AMS6231 Manor of Rotherfield Rectory otherwise Dewland court book, 1715-1798; plan of land near Glebe Farm Frant [?to be enfranchised], c1920


AMS6232 25 Eastbrook Road (Cliffe Cottage, Red House Farm estate) in Portslade (Ingram-Dudney-Collins-Hayler-Grundry-Phillips-Smith-Wishart-Foster-Hare-Furlong-Bryant), 1827-1983; 33 De Montfort Road (formerly 15 Shelley Terrace) Lewes (Dalbiac-Parsons-Every et al-Kesteven-Wycherley-Kerley-Champion-Brabner-Kenward-Brabner-Leigh-Harvey & Son-Bryn Properties-Clay-Comford-Carey-Fraser), 1877-1985; Cherry Tree Cottage (formerly 1 Eaton Cottage) Whitehill Road Crowborough (Fortescue-Mackellow-Winder-Jarvis-Sandey-Martin-Allcorn), 1876-1963


AMS6233 Records relating to the development of Peacehaven by The South Coast Land and Resort Co, including copies 1 and 2 of The Downland Review, 1959; 1916-1959


AMS6234 Map of Rose Fuller's Boship and Mouse House Farms in Hellingly by Stephen Katte, 1770


AMS6235 Rev Ebenezer Johnston, minister at Westgate Chapel, Lewes: account book of personal and household expenditure, including gifts from individuals in Lewes, Burwash, Brighton, Claypits and Tunbridge Wells, 1741-1763; certificate of installation, 1742; diary of a tour with Mr Ridge and Mr Palmer to Uckfield, Tunbridge Wells and through Kent to Dartford, returning via Lydd, Rye (with mention of a meeting to equip a privateer), Hastings, Pevensey to Lewes; 1744


AMS6236 Photographs of Lewes by J T Case with an introduction by M A Lower, 1857; photographs of the exterior and gardens of Leighside House, Lewes, c1878; photograph of the summer-house at Wellingham House Ringmer, c1880; other photographs of Lewes scenes


AMS6237 Archive of the South Downs Council for Voluntary Service: constitution, 1990; newsletter Southdowns View, 1990-


AMS6238 National Union of Teachers Brighton conference souvenir guides, 1896, 1908, 1923, 1934, 1993; East Sussex County Association of NUT minutes, 1911-1996; East Sussex County Association of Teachers, other records, 1924-1994; Bexhill and District Teachers' Association minutes, 1904-1961; Lewes and District Teachers' Association minutes, 1907-1934; Heathfield and District Teachers' Association minutes, 1880-[1960]; Hastings & District Teachers' Association minutes, 1920-1972; Hastings & District Teachers' Association balance sheets, 1887-1928; Hastings & District Teachers' Association treasurer's accounts, 1909-1982


AMS6239 Prospectus of Spyway School, Gillmans Hill St Leonards, c1985


AMS6240 John Edwards of Ticehurst, schoolmaster: photograph of gravestone, copy of death certificate, 1845


AMS6241 Postcards of Crowborough sent by George Anderson whilst on military training, 1914-1915


AMS6242 Winterlands Farm, Hamsey, (bequest by Thomas Cleaver; leases by trustees for the minor canons of Windsor to Tippen, Newnham, Chrismas, Jordan, Doe, Gosling, Norman, 1754-1885); Hooke Farm Orpington, 1788


AMS6243 Probate inventory of James Latter of Bayham in Frant [yeoman] by Peter Cliften and John Beecher, 17 May 1749, with reference to repairs to Bartly Mill in Frant endorsed, 1751


AMS6244 Photograph of Isaac Roberts' observatory at Crowborough, nd [c1900] and biographical notes


AMS6245 Postcards of Worthing, Hastings and Saltdean, 1919-1955


AMS6246 Printed maps of Sussex, history of Newhaven Harbour and guide book to Eastbourne, [c1800]-1970s


AMS6247 22-23 North Street, St Leonards (Eversfield-Manser-Chapman-Balding-Chapman-Stace (St Leonards) Ltd), 1836-1977


AMS6248 Committee minutes Ringmer Women's Guild (formerly Young Wives Group), 1966-1988


AMS6249 The Old Police House (part of a tenement called Olivers), Burwash (Holman-Jarvis-Russell-Reeves-Bellingham-Ellman-Clerk of the Peace-ESCC), including vouchers for building works in 1795; 1725-1955


AMS6250 Copy of William Berry, Pedigrees of the families in the County of Sussex (1829-1830), owned and annotated by Edward Jeremiah Curteis of Windmill Hill Place in Wartling, 1829

Date: 1472-1990
Held by: East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO), not available at The National Archives
Language: English

East Sussex Record Office, Lewes

Physical description: 50 Accessions
  • East Sussex
  • Land tenure
Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research