This group of records was transferred from the Chief Executives Dept. in 1972 and were catalogued for a time as part of the Local Studies Collection.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Sutton Society, established in 1881, was formed as a club for local men and women interested in literary and scientific pursuits. The Society originally met in Sutton Public Hall (where they had their own reading room), but from 1921 were based at Hill Road and then Throwley Way. Weekly lecture meetings were held with guest speakers and in addition a number of affiliated groups catering for particular interests were formed. These were to include a Literary and Debating Section, a Photographic Club, an Antiquarian and Natural History Section and a Chess Section. The series of ordinary meeting minutes in this archive report the activities of these groups and of the general meeting. In the early years the Society also had connections with the London Society for the Extension of University Teaching.
The Sutton Society was dissolved in 1927, due mainly to falling membership. It was however the precursor of the Sutton Camera Club and a model for similar literary and scientific clubs in the area.