In 1812 a Fund for the Relief of the Poor by the Establishment of a Soup Kitchen was set up, promoted by a Committee of the Common Council. It was re-established at intervals during the following 80 years. Its management committee included members of the Corporation, notably the Mayor. It was wound up 10 December 1900.
The main Soup Kitchen was situated at Manors, Newcastle but at times a further kitchen was opened in St Andrew's parish.