Catalogue description Whitechapel Methodist Mission, Whitechapel Road

This record is held by London Metropolitan Archives: City of London

Details of ACC/1926
Reference: ACC/1926
Title: Whitechapel Methodist Mission, Whitechapel Road
Description:

The records of the Mission reflect all these activities, and the ad hoc development of the Mission as it acquired new properties and extended its functions. While there is no real divison within the records, they have been arranged in seven sections. Section A contains records of the Circuit itself eg Quarterly Meetings and Accounts. Section B consists of records of the central administration of the social work side of the Mission. This includes records of the Trustees which held the Mission's property; the Executive Committee which had overall control of the Missions activities; financial records referring to the Mission as a whole; and records of staff.

 

Section C contains the records of the Working Lad's Institute, including records from before its take over by Revd Jackson in 1897, and records of its later developments, Whitechapel House Tulse Hill, and Whitechapel House Maple Place. There is a particularly fine collection of photographs of boys at the WLI in the 1930s.

 

The records of Brunswick Hall and the Night Shelter have been arranged in Section D. They include some fascinating accounts of life as a down and out in London in 1926 written by men at the shelter. Records of the Holiday Homes have been classed as Section E, and records of Windyridge Hostel as Section F. Section G consists of records of other stations brought by Revd Jackson to Whitechapel.

 

Additional Information:

 

The Primitive Methodists used the term station where Wesleyan Methodists would use Circuit.

 

WLI = Working Lads' Institute and Home

 

LCC = London County Council

 

ILEA = Inner London Education Authority

Related material:

The Record Office holds one other item relating to the Whitechapel Methodist Mission. Amongst the records of the Family Welfare Assocation, Charity Organisation Society, there is the research department's file on the Mission, 1883-1931 (ref A/FWA/C/D161/1). The History Library has a biography of Thomas Jackson by William Potter (50.9 JAC).

Held by: London Metropolitan Archives: City of London, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Creator:

Whitechapel Methodist Mission, Whitechapel Road

Brunswick Hall, Whitechapel

Sion Chapel, Whitechapel

Physical description: 7 subfonds
Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the Revd Peter Jennings, in the Greater London Record Office, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R 0HB, on 22 December 1983 (ACC/1926).

Administrative / biographical background:

The Whitechapel Methodist Mission was a Primitive Methodist foundation, arising from the home mission activities of one of the Methodists' greatest ministers, the Revd Thomas Jackson who worked in the East End of London for 56 years. His work at Whitechapel built on his earlier work in Bethnal Green, Walthamstow and Clapton (see ACC/1926/G for records of these stations).

 

The Whitechapel Mission combined social work with evangelical work. The station began in 1897 when Revd Thomas Jackson bought the Working Lads' Institute which was due to close owing to a shortage of funds (see ACC/1926/B and ACC/1926/C). He used this as the basis for his work in Whitechapel. In 1901 the Mission acquired a property on Marine Parade, Southend, to continue the provision of holidays and convalescent stays for the poor from the area (see ACC/1926/E). In 1906 Brunswick Hall was purchased (see ACC/1926/D) and this enabled a physical separation of the social work and evangelical work. The Mission's many activities included free breakfasts and penny dinners for local children; a Medical Mission; a free legal advice service; a night shelter for homeless men; distribution of food, coal and grocery tickets to the poor; prison gate rescue work especially amongst young lads, which developed into full probation work with the opening of Windyridge Hostel, (see ACC/1926/F).

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research