Brighton church reports collected by the Rev John Julius Hannah
A collection of 30 volumes containing reports, circulars, programmes and notices relating to institutions, clubs and other bodies, both local and national, which were collected by the Rev John Julius Hannah. The volumes were presented to the parish of Brighton on the death of the Rev Hannah by his son and executor Ian Campbell Hannah in 1931. The material includes annual reports of many Brighton churches and also the educational and charitable institutions connected with them. At the front of each volume is a comprehensive list of the contents; a subject index on cards is also available in the searchroom.
The title given to volumes listed below is taken from the inscription on the spine of each book.
John Julius Hannah, the only son of Archdeacon John Hannah of Combe, Oxfordshire and Anne Sophia Gregory (the sister of Dr Gregory, Dean of St Pauls), was born in 1843 and in 1874 he married Annie Barbara Thompson (eldest daughter of William Thompson of Balgowan and Keillour Castle, Perthshire, JP). He was educated at Trinity College, Glenalmond and Balliol College, Oxford where he was awarded a BA in 1866 and an MA in 1869. He was curate of Brill, Buckinghamshire 1867-1870, curate of Paddington, Middlesex 1870-1871 and curate of Brighton 1871-1873. Hannah was vicar of St Nicholas Brighton 1873-1888, vicar and rector of Brighton and rector of West Blatchington 1888-1902, Rural Dean of Lewes Division V 1889-1902 and Dean of Chichester 1902-1929; he also served as the chairman of Brighton and Preston School Board 1887-1901. He died at Philpots, West Hoathly on 1 June 1931; his will was proved at Lewes on 3 October 1931 by Ian Campbell Hannah and Charles Walton Hannah, gents and Juliet Barbara Hannah, spinster (his children and also his executors) when the estate was valued at £28,072 1d.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know