Anglesey Quarter Sessions Records
This record is held by Archifau Ynys Mon / Anglesey Archives
|Title:||Anglesey Quarter Sessions Records|
Records, [16th century]-1971, of the Anglesey Court of Quarter Sessions, comprising order books, 1768-1971; court rolls, 1772-1971; treasurer's accounts, 1783-1971; county gaol records; electoral lists, 1832-1971; jury lists, 1840-1901; poll books, 1784 and 1837; land tax assessments, 1712-1869; window tax assessments, 1751-1786; poor relief records, 1788-1860, and returns of pauper lunatics, 1842-1882; licensing records, 1787-1875; returns of offences and reports from the chief constable, 1857-1910; returns of masonic lodges; records of friendly societies, 1804-1825; records of the Anglesey Savings Bank, 1818-1876; appointments of sheriffs and undersheriffs, 1830-; plans for roads, bridges, harbours and railways, together with records relating to the maintenance of county buildings, roads and bridges; a roll of annuities (for the prevention of electoral corruption), 1763-1867; enclosure awards; petitions; and records of the David Hughes Charity, including the Free Grammar School and the almhouses in Beaumaris, [16th century]-1869.
Arranged into the following: rolls; bridges; harbours and county buildings; friendly societies; gaol; licensing; petitions; railways; roads; and Anglesey Savings Bank.
|Held by:||Archifau Ynys Mon / Anglesey Archives, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||7.224 cubic metres|
|Restrictions on use:||
Usual copyright regulations apply.
No restrictions apart from uncatalogued material, which includes David Hughes Charity records.
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
The archive appears to have been acquired directly from the Anglesey Court of Quarter Sessions.
The original Quarter Sessions rolls had been broken down prior to their receipt by Anglesey County Record Office.
|Selection and destruction information:||
Accruals are not expected.
|Unpublished finding aids:||
Hard copies of the catalogues are available at Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Record Office, Caernarfon Record Office, and the National Register of Archives. It is the policy of Gwasanaeth Archifdy Ynys Môn/Anglesey County Archives Service to catalogue in the language of the document.
|Administrative / biographical background:||
Courts of Quarter Sessions were introduced into Wales following the Acts of Union of 1536 and 1543, and took their name from the fact that they met at quarterly intervals throughout the year. Until the establishment of county and district councils in 1888 and 1894, they were responsible for both judicial matters and the civil administration of the county, including constructing and maintaining roads and bridges, levying rates, relieving the poor, removing vagrants, issuing licences, appointing county officials, and so on, and organisations such as Masonic lodges and friendly societies were obliged to deposit their regulations with the Clerk of the Peace. Courts of Quarter Sessions were replaced by Crown Courts in 1971. The Anglesey Quarter Sessions records include records of the David Hughes Charity.