Saint Peter, Cranley Gardens: Cranley Gardens, Kensington and Chelsea
Incumbents Records, records of staff, benefice, churchwardens, church fabric, financial records, parochial church council, charities, societies, pastoral letters, parish magazines, faculties, church buildings, trust funds, parish boundaries, finance, societies and clubs, and printed material/miscellaneous
Church of England, St Peter's Parish, Kensington and Chelsea
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records of St Peter, (P89/PET1/1-159) Cranley Gardens, Kensington deposited in the Greater London Record Office, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R 0HB on 21 February 1983 (Acc 1830), 19 February 1985 (Acc 2088) and 9 January 1986 (Acc 2285)
Additional records (P84/PET1/160-210) deposited at GLRO on 12 August 1994.
Church of England, St Mary the Boltons Parish, Kensington
Church of England, St Mary with St Peter's Parish, Kensington
Administrative / biographical background:
Saint Peter's Church was consecrated in June 1867, having been privately built and endowed by C.J. Freake, a local developer, whose family thereafter held the patronage of the benefice. A parish was assigned to the church in July 1867 out of the parish of Saint Mary the Boltons, Kensington.
By an Order in Council of December 1972 Saint Peter's was declared redundant with the intention that the building be leased to the Armenian Orthodox Church. Anglican services ceased in January 1973. The parish was reabsorbed into Saint Mary the Boltons, which became known as Saint Mary with Saint Peter, Kensington.
The GLRO's holdings are catalogued in two lists, representing accessions received in 1983-1986 and 1994 respectively. Readers are advised to consult both lists before ordering documents.