The rural deanery of Reading in 1865 consisted of the following parishes: Arborfield, Barkham, Bearwood, Earley St Peter, Finchampstead, Hurst, the Reading parishes, Remenham, Ruscombe, Shinfield, Sonning, Stratfield Mortimer, Swallowfield, Twyford and Wargrave. The boundaries were changed in 1916 and the deanery then comprised the parishes of Beech Hill, Caversham, Earley St Peter, Grazeley, Mortimer West End, the Reading parishes, Shinfield, Spencers Wood, Swallowfield, Tilehurst St Michael and Tilehurst St George.
Rural deans of Reading Deanery, 1862-1995:
1862-1875 The Revd Arthur Perceval Purey-Cust, vicar of Reading St Mary.
1875-1897: The Revd Nicholas Thomas Garry, rector of Reading St Mary.
1897-1899: The Revd Herbert Salwey, rector of Easthampstead.
1899-1903: The Revd William Methven Gordon Ducat, vicar of Reading St Giles.
1903-1911: The Revd Charles Leslie Lovett-Cameron, vicar of Stratfield Mortimer.
1911-1921: The Revd Robert Perceval Newhouse, vicar of Reading St Laurence.
1921-1928: The Revd Edward John Norris, vicar of Earley St Bartholomew.
1928-1934: The Revd Fitzwilliam John Carter Gillmor, vicar of Reading St Giles.
1934-1942: The Revd Arthur Groom Parham, rector of Reading St Mary.
1942-1947: The Revd Richard Eardley Thomas Bell, vicar of Reading St John.
1947-1955: The Revd Christopher Bourne, vicar of Earley St Bartholomew.
1955-1962: The Revd Harold Hewitson Nash, rector of Caversham.
1962-1965: The Revd Philip David Bevington Miller, vicar of Reading St Giles.
1965-1968: The Revd Douglas Jeyes Lendrum Bean, vicar of Reading St Laurence.
1968-1970: The Revd Peter de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, rector of Tilehurst St Michael.
1970-1974: The Revd George William Frederick Coupe, vicar of Reading St Laurence.
1974-1984: The Revd Arthur Christopher Boult, vicar of Reading St Giles.
1984-1985: The Revd John Gregg McKechnie, vicar of Reading St John.
1985-1995: The Revd Eric Albert Essery, vicar of Reading Christchurch.
1995 [SYMBOL: right arrow] The Revd Brian Shenton, rector and vicar of Reading St Mary with St Laurence.