Estates records of St Bartholomew's Hospital
This record is held by St Bartholomew's Hospital Archives and Museum
|Title:||Estates records of St Bartholomew's Hospital|
Estates records of St Bartholomew's Hospital, 1133-, comprising title deeds and charters, 1137-20th century, including grant from Rahere to Hagno the clerk, 1137; charters of the Hospital, 1324, 1439, 1544, 1547; letters patent, 1265-1612; papal bulls, , 1306; deeds relating to the hospital precinct, -1879; deeds of properties outside the precinct, -20th century;
Cartulary of St Bartholomew's Hospital, compiled -1506, containing copies of charters, letters patent and royal pardons, 1133-1464, papal bulls, -1453; episcopal letters and acta, -1420, deeds and related papers, 1137-1506, rental of properties in London, 1456; the 'Little Cartulary', compiled , containing copies of deeds of London properties, [1200-1500], extracts from lost London rentals, [1270-1390], account rolls, 1367-1424, arranged by property; the 'Repertory', compiled -1695, containing copies of deeds, mainly London properties, 1364, 1498-1693, memoranda relating to wills and bequests, 1642-1695; valuation of the Hospital, 1546, containing summary and detailed evaluations of the possessions of the Hospital, St Sepulchre's parish within Newgate, parishes of St Audoen and St Nicholas Shambles, monastery at Greyfriars, inventory of goods at the Hospital;
Papers concerning London property destroyed in the Great Fire of London, 1667-1713, including plans, abstracts of title, leases, lists of tenants and notes;
Rentals, 1758-1932, giving names of tenants, amounts of their rents and details of their leases for London and country properties; lease contract books, 1749-1841, containing signed agreements by tenants, and signed contracts for the supply of provisions, 1749-1755; account roll of rents from country properties, 1350;
'Particular of Lands', compiled 1760-1764, containing details of the Hospital's country property, 1760-1948, including field names, state of cultivation, rights and liabilities; view and survey books, 1587-1664, 1754-1909, detailing state of repair of London property, 1587-1909, country property, 1754-1909, Hospital site, 1754-1841; reports, surveys and related papers of property, -1761; schedule books, 1768-1808, containing inventories of fixtures and fittings in London properties; estimates for repairs to London properties, 1779-1796; Surveyors' reports, 1841-1936; letter book, 1832-1864, containing copies of Renters' out-letters; registers of leases, 1835-1923; licences to tenants to assign their leases or sub-let, 1841-1976; tenancy agreements, 1881-1930, including plans; plan book, [1599-1617], probably created by Martin Llewellyn, Steward of the Hospital from 1599 to 1634, containing plans of the church of St Bartholomew the Less, Hospital precincts, 'the Greyfriars' (Christchurch and Christ's Hospital), various Hospital properties; plan of the Hospital precincts, [1604-1912], including gardens, burial grounds and chapel of St Nicholas; plans of the Hospital's London and country properties, 1587-1696; plans, mainly of London property, [1600-1750]; rent book, 1828-1839, giving names of tenants;
Manorial court rolls, court books and rentals of the manor of Lovehurst, Staplehurst, Kent, 1579-1815; papers relating to the administration of the Lovehurst estate, [1600-1828]; papers relating to the Hospital's rectorial and other rights and obligations in the parish of Christchurch Newgate Street, 1670-1880, including tithes; advowsons and presentations to livings in the gift of the Hospital, 1722-1933; Land Surveyor's reports on proposed tithe commutations, 1837-1838, with related papers and correspondence, including reports of public meetings; tithe apportionments, 1839-1941, altered apportionments, 1895-1914, tithe ledgers, 1827-1936, for parishes in which the Hospital was the impropriator of tithes, giving names of landowners and tenants; records relating to the parish of Christchurch Newgate Street, comprising tithe rate rentals for 1643-1704, giving names of tithe payers; books of orders issued by the Hospital Governors for the tithes, 1650-1705; lists of inhabitants in arrears for payment of tithe rate, 1657, 1700;
Plans and related papers relating to proposals to redevelop the Hospital site outside the Square, 1758-1765; plans of Hospital sites and buildings, [1800-1990]; Hospital's investment properties, 1700-1957; plan books for London properties and Hospital site, 1809-1927; country properties, 1848-1892; Ordnance Survey maps of the Hospital's freehold property, ; papers concerning the building of a farmhouse at Bottisham, 1725-1726.
Sources: The Royal Hospital of Saint Bartholomew 1123-1973 edited by Victor Cornelius Medvei and John L Thornton (St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, 1974); Historical Manuscripts Commission On-line National Register of Archives. Compiled by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 project."
The records are arranged as outlined in the scope and content; rentals, 1758-1932, are arranged by street or county.
Records of the Estates Office (reference: EO) are held by St Bartholomew's Hospital Archives. Rentals for St Bartholomew's Hospital, 1780-1826 are held by the Public Record Office (reference: C109/163).
|Held by:||St Bartholomew's Hospital Archives and Museum, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||209 volumes, 101 boxes and 10 map drawers|
|Restrictions on use:||
Photocopying is not permitted. However, single sheets dated after 1850 may be photocopied at the discretion of the Archivist. Photographs of items are obtainable, subject to copyright regulations, from the Department of Medical Illustration at St Bartholomew's Hospital. Arrangements can be made via the Archivist. Outside photographers and researchers' own cameras are not permitted.
Researchers wishing to consult the archives should first contact the Archivist, St Bartholomew's Hospital, for an appointment.
Some of the pre-Reformation title deeds were originally part of the parish archives of St Audeon and St Nicholas Shambles. The cartulary is also known as 'Cok's Cartulary', as it was begun in about 1418 by Brother John Cok, renter of the Hospital.
The History of St Bartholomew's Hospital Norman Moore (C Arthur Pearson Ltd, London, 1918); Cartulary of St Bartholomew's Hospital edited by Nellie J M Kerling (St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, 1973); 'Atlas Pioneer' T Campbell in The Geographical Magazine, Dec 1975 (on the plan book).
|Unpublished finding aids:||
A catalogue in index card form is available at St Bartholomew's Hospital Archives. The plans have been catalogued on a DOS ADLIB database.
|Administrative / biographical background:||
In 1170 the Hospital gained some independence from the Priory of St Bartholomew, and an important aspect of this was the ability to accept and administer grants of property. The Hospital received property in over sixty parishes of the City of London, Middlesex, Essex, Northamptonshire and Somerset. After the refoundation of the Hospital in 1546-1547 and until the 19th century the Governors purchased property across the country to provide income for the Hospital. Almost all the Hospital's property was sold in 1921 to finance the building the current King George V Wing. The Hospital official responsible for collecting rents was the Renter. His direct successor in the 20th century was the Estate Clerk and the Estates Office, which was closed in 1974.