The items listed below were deposited in 1974 and 1977 by the Rev. B. Eyles, minister of Blacon United Reformed Church.
Administrative / biographical background:
Blacon United Free Church was established on 15 December 1946 when the foundation service was conducted by the Rev. Eric Lawson, M.A., minister of Queen Street Congregational Church. Thirty eight members signed the church covenant. Services were held in a garden house in the grounds of 87 Saughall Road, home of Dorothy Ida Horswill, the first member to sign the covenant. In 1949 land was acquired at 121 Saughall Road and a corrugated iron building, purchased from the Mollington Church of Christ was erected on this site. This building is now used as a church hall. The present church building was erected in 1963. A new hall, the Riley Hall, was opened in May 1973.
Blacon United Free Church Union joined the Cheshire Congregational Union in April 1948. From 1951 until 1954, services were conducted by Miss Pauline M. Halliwell, a lay missionary attached to St. Paul's House, Liverpool. The first resident minister at Blacon was the Rev. C.E. Wright, who was called to Blacon in October 1955 and whose ministry terminated in 1965.
In 1954 it was decided to unite the Congregational Churches of Blacon and Sealand Road (Whipcord Lane). This union was dissolved in 1965.
Following the union between the Congregational Church in England and Wales and the Presbyterian Church of England in October 1972 the church was renamed Blacon United Reformed Church.