This business was established in the second half of the nineteent century by the Hallmark Brothers at 21 and 23 Milton Street, premises which it occupied until its closure in 1973. In Phillipson and Golder's Directory for Chester, 1878-9, the business is listed as bakers and grocers. By 1892, in Kelly's Directory of Cheshire, the business was described as 'corn and flour dealers and cab proprietors'. The records date from 1893 when the business is concerned mainly with cab hiring but by 1895 the Hallmarks had become undertakers. Their 1907 letterhead states that they are coach-builders and carriage proprietors.