Newcastle Hospital for Diseases of the Throat, Nose and Ear
Immediate source of acquisition:
Accessions 167 (part), 444 (part)
Administrative / biographical background:
In 1877 a Throat and Ear Infirmary to give free treatment to the poor was established at 5 Saville Row, Newcastle. A year later another charitable institution for the treatment of throat and ear diseases was established at 1 Clayton Street, Newcastle. This was the Newcastle Hospital for Diseases of the Throat and Ear, which expanded its premises to include 20, Brighton Grove some time before 1894. From these two institutions eventually emerged the Hospital for the Diseases of the Throat, Nose and Ear, situated at 96, Rye Hill some time between 1894 and 1906.
In 1948 the Hospital was taken over by the National Health Service, and run by the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospital Management Committee as part of what later became known as the Newcastle General Group of Hospitals. (See HA/NC) In 1964 the treatment of ear, nose and throat diseases was discontinued at Rye Hill and patients were referred to the new ENT Department at Newcastle General Hospital instead. (See HO/NGH) In 1965 the Rye Hill site became a Dialysis Unit serving the General Hospital and Royal Victoria Infirmary.