King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry Regimental Museum Archive
Official history of the Regiment 1755-1968; 'The Bugle' regimental journal (indexed); documents relating to some members of the Regiment (but no records of service); campaign medal rolls; list of regimental property and silver; list of medals and other items at the regimental museum in Doncaster, photographs
Roll of Honour, Gallantry Medal roll, war diaries, list of officers, maps, papers relating to specific battalions, 1914-1918
Roll of Honour, maps, papers relating to specific battalions, 1939-1945
The Regiment had its origins in the 51st and 105th Regiments of Foot. The 51st was first raised in 1754 as the 1st (American Provincials) but after two subsequent disbandments, was renamed the 51st (Brudenells) in 1757. In 1782 it was also known as the 2nd Yorkshire West Riding Regiment of Foot, which later served in the Peninsular War. In 1821 it became the 51st (2nd Yorkshire West Riding) or 'The King's Own Light Infantry Regiment'. In 1881 it was joined by the 105th Regiment to form the 1st (51st) and 2nd (105th) Battalions the Kings Own Light Infantry (South Yorkshire Regiment) 2nd Battalion in England and Wales.
The 105th Regiment (Queen's Own Highlanders) was first raised in 1761 and after disbandment and later raising, was raised with authorisation of the East India Company as the Second Madras European Light Infantry Regiment at Arnee (India) (2nd Battalion) in 1839. In 1861 the European Regiments of the East India Company were converted into Regiments of Her Majesty's General Army, and so the Second Madras was renamed the 105th Foot (Madras Light Infantry) Regiment. It joined with the 51st Regiment in 1881. The Regiment was then amalgamated in 1968.