Built in 1876 in Albion Street, this was a Bible Christian chapel until 1907 when it became a United Methodist chapel, following the merger, nationally, of the Bible Christians with the Methodist New Connexion and the United Free Methodist Churches. In 1936 it became a Primitive Methodist chapel which it remained until all distinctions between sects disappeared in 1944. In 1957 Greenhill and Church Street congregations merged.
The chapel was part of the North Durham Mission of Bible Christians until 1907, and then the United Methodist Circuit based on Murton until 1936. Some baptisms for this period may be recorded in the Circuit baptism registers. After 1936 the chapel was part of the Hetton Circuit.