Further information about the Hornsey Central Hospital can be found in the reports of the King Edward's Hospital Fund for London (A/KE/249/9 and A/KE/518/5). The Greater London History Library has annual reports for the hospital for 1940-1947.
The administrative records of the hospital were transferred to the Greater London Record Office with the archives of the Royal Northern Hospital (Acc 2934) on 31 May 1991. These records consist only of council and committee minute books (3 volumes) covering the years 1909-1948.
The Hornsey Central Hospital, formerly the Hornsey Cottage Hospital, at Park Road, Crouch End, was built by Hornsey Borough Council on land donated by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Although the foundation stone was laid in 1907, the hospital did not open until January 1910.
The building was extended three times, in 1921, 1938 and 1956, and in 1927 changed its name to the Hornsey Central Hospital, mainly because of difficulties recruiting nursing staff, who were unwilling to work in a cottage hospital.
Until 1974 it was a general hospital but from 1974 until 1981 it specialised in acute cases. Since 1981 the hospital has dealt mainly with geriatric patients.
After the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948, Hornsey Central Hospital was administered by the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board, and, on a local level, by the Archway Group Hospital Management Committee from 1948 to 1963 and by its successor the North London Group from 1963 to 1974. Since 1974 the hospital has been the responsibility of the North East Thames Regional Health Authority and the Islington District Health Authority, which amalgamated with the Bloomsbury Health Authority in 1990 to become the Bloomsbury and Islington District Health Authority.