Records of former Borough of Berkhamsted, 1584 - 1840
The borough of Berkhamsted ceased to exist as a corporate body in the late seventeenth century and the surviving records found their way into the parish chest, eventually being deposited in the County Record Office along with the parish records. For purposes of cataloguing the two series of records have been separated as far as possible, but there is inevitably some overlap between them and cross-references have been provided where necessary. The parish records are catalogued as D/P 19.
For further information about the history of the borough reference should be made to the Victoria County History, volume 2, and to A Short History of Berkhamsted by Percy Birtchnell.
The numbers in square brackets refer to an earlier arrangement of some of the records made by Messrs Hardy and Page, record agents, in 1907. A copy of their list is available on the parish file.
1584 - 1840
Other related records were deposited by the Duchy of Cornwall in June 1984 and include a court roll of the honour of Berkhamsted, 1437, a compotus roll of the honour, 1498-1499, a lease of Berkhamsted Castle to Earl Brownlow, 1864, and a lease of Berkhamsted Park to Mary Sayer, 1706. (D/EX640)