Catalogue description Mount Vernon Hospital, Worsbrough, Barnsley

This record is held by Sheffield City Archives

Details of NHS23
Reference: NHS23
Title: Mount Vernon Hospital, Worsbrough, Barnsley
Description:

Administration 1961 - 1969

 

NHS23/1/1 Hospital secretary& apos;s reports, 1961 - 1968

 

NHS23/1/2 Matron& apos;s reports, 1961 - 1969

 

NHS23/1/3 Statistical reports, 1961 - 1967

 

Establishment 1966 - 1969

 

NHS23/2/1 Notes of staff terminations, 1966 - 1969

 

Patients 1961 - 1969

 

NHS233/1 Admission book, 1961 - 1969

 

NHS23/3/2 Cancer registration forms, 1961 - 1965

Date: 1961-1969
Related material:

Barnsley Hospital Management Committee records, 1948 - 1974 (NHS39, formerly SY306)

 

Sheffield Regional Hospital Board minutes and accounts, 1948 - 1974 (NHS27)

 

Statistical returns, 1966 - 1990 (NHS5/1/4/1-2, 4, 6-9; NHS5/2/1)

 

Barnsley Area Health Authority/Health Authority/Primary Care Trust minutes, 1974 - 2007 (NHS5)

 

Barnsley Community and Priority Services NHS Trust minutes, 1991 - 2002 (NHS34)

Held by: Sheffield City Archives, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Physical description: 9 items
Access conditions:

Information in patient records may be subject to access restrictions under the Data Protection Act, or may be subject to exemptions from the Freedom of Information Act. For further information please refer to a member of staff.

Custodial history:

Prior to April 1986 the records previously numbered SY353 were held by the former South Yorkshire County Record Office.

Administrative / biographical background:

Mount Vernon Tuberculosis Sanatorium, 1915 - 1949

 

Mount Vernon Hospital, Mount Vernon Road, Barnsley, 1949 -

 

The hospital was officially opened as a sanatorium on 18 May 1915 in the house that had been the home of Samuel and Fanny Cooper.

 

In 1945 it was described as a poor quality sanatorium unit providing & apos;an old type ward block and some chalets& apos; to accommodate 53 patients. The administrative quarters were in an old mansion. In 1960/61 certain old buildings were demolished and the site redeveloped to accommodate 90 chronic sick mainly geriatric patients. The first patients were admitted to the new premises on 15 October 1961; the official opening, performed by the Princess Royal, took place on on 22 November 1961.

 

New wards were opened in 1974 and patients from Lundwood and Kendray Hospitals were transferred there in September 1974. Barnsley Health Authority approved the closure of two wards in the hospital in March 2002.

 

Administration:

 

Prior to the establishment of the National Health Service (NHS) in 1948, the hospital was managed by Barnsley Borough Council. There was a resident Medical Officer based there. From 1948 it was administered by Barnsley Hospital Management Committee (HMC) of Sheffield Regional Hospital Board. Barnsley HMC& apos;s hospitals were grouped under two House Committees: No 2 included Mount Vernon Sanatorium. HMCs were abolished following reorganisation of the NHS in 1974, and management fell to Barnsley Area Health Authority (1974 - 1982), then to the Community and Priority Services Unit of Barnsley Health Authority (1982 - 1991). In 1991 the Unit was re-established as Barnsley Community and Priority Services NHS Trust. This was superseded in 2002 by Barnsley Primary Care Trust, for which the hospital provides services.

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research