(A detailed account of the history of the Board and the problems of Kosher meat supplies can be found in Lewis Olsover's **EMPH**The Jewish Communities of North-East England 1755 - 1980**/EMPH**.)
Administrative / biographical background:
From their establishment each of the synagogues in Newcastle had its own Shochet who slaughtered animals according to the ritual and supplied the meat to appointed butchers in the town. As the numbers increased a co-ordinating board was required and the Board of Shechita was established in 1922, at first including only Leazes Park and Ravensworth synagogues. Jesmond joined in 1930. In 1961 the Board extended its activities to supervising Kosher catering and in 1963, in a national reorganisation, became the Board for the north east. In 1973 the functions of the Board were taken over by a committee of the United Hebrew Congregation.