Records deposited on permanent loan by Councillor Prendergast, 51 Sutherland Street, London SW1 on 30 April 1983.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Society was founded on 27 August 1784 as the Union Society of St. James Westminster. The original object of the Society is unclear but was probably mainly social. It undoubtedly undertook some philanthropic work probably connected with the parish of St. James, as most members of the Society were vestrymen of that parish.
When St. James Westminster was amalgamated with the other civil parishes in Westminster, the Society decided to change its name. Consequently at a meeting in December 1902 it became the Union Society of the City of Westminster, under which name it has continued to the present day.