Records of the Smales Brothers, shipowners and shipbuilders
This record is held by Whitby Literary and Philosophical Society
|Title:||Records of the Smales Brothers, shipowners and shipbuilders|
This collection comprises shipyard and dry dock day book, showing daily disbursements and expenses 1865-1871; wages book recording payments made to carpenters and labourers 1870-1874; account book for the brig Swainson 1852-1861; receipts and vouchers relating to the Brig Swainson including claims for compensation following collisions 1853-1861; account book for the barques Charges and Merrie England, including first costs of vessels and some original vouchers 1857-1878; account book for the barque Sylvan including first costs, details of insurance and registered ownership 1858-1881; account book for the barque Princess Elfleda including first costs and insurance accounts for the Princess Elfleda, Merrie England, Maria Wakefield and Monkshaven 1866-1876; account book for the barque Maria Wakefield including first costs 1868-1880; account book for the barque Monkshaven including first costs, copy certificate of registration, details of insurance and registered ownership 1871-1879; account book relating to timber cargos carried by Smales vessels 1907-1939.
|Held by:||Whitby Literary and Philosophical Society, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||c10 volumes|
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The Swainson was built in Whitby by Thomas Hobkirk for Gideon Smales in 1852. She was sold to West Hartlepool interests in 1861, but by 1882 was registered in Whitby, owned by Christopher Marwood and John Rowland. She was abandoned 60 miles east of Spurn Head in January 1884.
The Charge was built in Sunderland in 1849. She was bought by Gideon Smales in 1857 and wrecked on Port Neuf Shoal, St Lawrence, in October 1861.
The Merrie England was built in Whitby by Thomas Hobkirk in 1862 for Smales and Son. It was the last vessel built in the yard of Thomas Hobkirk. She was lost on the coast of Florida in December 1877.
The Sylvan was built in Whitby by Thomas Hobkirk in 1857 for Smales Brothers. She was sold in June 1881 to Isaac Whitfield of Sunderland and lost in 1883.
The Princess Elfleda was built in Whitby by Smales Brothers in 1866. She was lost near Dugeon Light in April 1872.
The Maria Wakefield was built in Whitby by Smales Brothers in 1868. She was sold in 1880 to Reynolds of Liverpool and subsequently wrecked near Swansea.
The Monkshaven was built in Whitby by Smales Brothers in 1871, the last wooden sailing vessel built at Whitby.
|Link to NRA Record:|