Catalogue description Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue W

This record is held by East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO)

Details of AMSW
Reference: AMSW
Title: Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue W

Since it opened, East Sussex Record Office has maintained a collection of 'Additional Manuscripts' for accessions which are not assigned, or are not accrued to existing collections which have, a distinctive alphabetic reference based on the collection's title. The Additional Manuscripts collection is now known as AMS


Some of these accessions added to AMS have been returned to A2A as free-standing catalogues. The residue are being returned as a series of catalogues, each covering a range of AMS numbers. The summary list below covers all the accessions within that range, with notes against those which are the subject of separate catalogues or which have been transferred to other collections or other repositories. The main body of the catalogue notes only the reference and the fact of the separate catalogue or the transfer


Summary of contents


AMS6251 E W Robins of West Hill Lodge [Montpelier Road], Brighton brewer (d1893): indemnity on purchase of 10 Black Lion Street and 56 Waterloo Street Brighton by T J U Robins, 1895; Waters Farm Heathfield (leasehold - Humphrey-Horsecroft; Waters), 1613, 1726; Idens Gate Farm Heathfield (leasehold - Gage-Fuller-Iden; Waters), 1566-1590, 1726; both leaseholds (Waters-Edwards-Young-Tompsett-Chapple-Tompsett), 1742-1867; the whole including freehold (formerly leasehold) title (Hare-Osborn/Oliver/Collins/Pettitt), 1867-1920; Cavendish Land Company plan of building plots at Telscombe, 1898


AMS6252 Photographs of Framfield Harvest Home, 1912; Uckfield Carnival, 1921; Moulscomb Junior School Brighton, 1953


AMS6253 Tithe account book of the Rev Thomas Davies of Glynde; also includes opinion of John Mitford, expenses at Christ Church Oxford and Kings Cambridge 1742-1752, survey of Nancy Ticehurst's copyhold at Beddingham, c1760, accounts for building works at Glynde, 1760 and a dilapidations survey of Rodmell parsonage, 1784


AMS6254 Staplecross Cricket Club minutes and accounts, 1910-1960, scorebooks, 1938-1972


AMS6255 53 High Street Hastings (Russell-West-Bayley-Shadwell), 1817-1855


AMS6256 Northiam Village Hall Trust minutes, correspondence and papers, 1936-1992


AMS6257 15 St James Road, Hastings (Blacklands Farm - Sayer-Frewen-Bourne-Sacre-Flint-Jervis-Whiting; Brett-Pipe), 1784-1933; includes sale to South Eastern Railway and declaration by James Gibbs aged 80, 1861


AMS6258 Relisted and merged with AMS6273


AMS6259 Ham Lands, Budgehope and Puttock Field in Hailsham (Twisden-Fuller; Treglet-Esterfeld-Edwards-Stapley; Hunt-French), 1309-1648; property at Wormington Gloucestershire, c1230, c1280; houses and land at Hambledon Hampshire, 1603


AMS6260 United Society of Boiler makers, London, Brighton and South Coast Railway Newhaven Marine Shop check steward's book, 1896-1946


AMS6261 Papers of Professor N Comber of Leeds University, honorary Vice President of the Old Varndeanian Association, 1949-1953


AMS6262 Papers of Rev George Griffin Stonestreet concerning the advowson and tithes of Hastings St Mary-in-the-Castle, 1821-1825; letters from Thomas Fuller, William Coppard, George Capron, John Buckner, Robert Willimott, William Leeves and John Goldsworthy Shorter; copies of documents, 1274-1589


AMS6263 Plan of the green at Windmill Hill, Wartling by J E Stubberfield [1892]


AMS6264 Windmill Hill Cricket Club fixtures, 1876


AMS6265 Lewes and Laughton levels expenditure account, 1892-1901


AMS6266 Photograph of steam-driven car AP 955, c1908


AMS6267 Sale particular for New Pond Farm, Cross-in-Hand, 1950


AMS6268 Brighton Union Club committee minutes, 1863-1864


AMS6269 Photocopies of photographs of Peasmarsh including malthouses, new Wesleyan Chapel, village band, [c1910]


AMS6270 Portman and Medley Families of Buxted Place - Medley, Shuckburgh-Evelyn, Jenkinson and Harcourt families, 1584-1865


Separately cata;ogued for A2A


AMS6271 27 (formerly 8) Sun Street Lewes (Kemp-Hobden-Wille, Wilds & Wille-Gates-Boore-Jeffery-Carter-Pollard-Henwood-MacDonald-de Waldeck-Massenger-Lewes Co-Op-Baldwin), 1810-1992


AMS6272 Plan of Boykett Breeds' Priory Field Hastings (shows Wellington Square, Castle Road and Blucher Buildings in the course of development) by Thomas Allason, 1827; copies of bills and correspondence concerning the education of Henry son of R Souter at the Rev Percival Frost's school, 11 Sussex Square Brighton, 1855-1863


AMS6273 Archive of the Brown family of Brighton and Havant, 1846-1915: William Brown (business as builder, contractor), c1890-1913


Catalogued separately for A2A


AMS6274 Townsends Field and 4-8 Lancaster Street Lewes (Pelham-Spence-Durrant-Harben-Wimble-Woollett-Marten-Cripps-Verrall; Wimble-Wilmshurst-Cruttenden-Hill-Dudeney-Hopper; Hopper-Paine-Wycherley-Swann & Culligan-Leader); includes particulars of trhe estate of George Hopper deceased (12-13 De Montfort, 1-8 Toronto, 2, 4, 19 St Johns, 4-8, 31, 35 39 Lancaster Street) in 1896; 1673-1988


AMS6275 Houses at Sparrows Green Wadhurst (Moreland-Barham-Wallis-Lucksford; Mayfield copyhold - lord-Elliott-Winder-Pilbeam-Kemp-Honeysett-Christian; Newington); 1755-c1870; 1910


AMS6276 Work-book of Henry James Paton of Hove, portmanteau-maker with Andrews & Son of Western Road Hove, 1913-1914, 1920; history of the Paton family, 1855-1982


AMS6277 Map of Hove tenantry laines and village by Thomas Marchant, 1755


AMS6278 Plot at Victoria Way Winchelsea Beach (Crump-Cooke-Seekins-Collett-Jackson), 1926-1964


AMS6279 Letter from William Green to Francis Grose incorporating plan of Brighton, 1773; copy letter from Grose to Richard Gough, 1772; copy letters from Francis Grose and his son FG to Despard Croasdaile concerning FG's debts as a militia paymaster, 1782-1783; research notes of Dudley Snelgrove and John Farrant, c1970, 1994


AMS6280 Research notes on the history of the Freeman-Thomas family of Yapton and Ratton in Willingdon, latterly Lords Willingdon; includes correspondence, copy wills, obituaries, photographs of portraits from c1750 and detailed investigation of the life and works of the landscape architects William Brodrick Thomas and his nephew Francis Inigo Thomas; 1935-1986


AMS6281 Court roll of the lathe court of the rape of Hastings, 1519-1520


AMS6282 Part of the Maresfield Park estate (Pechell-Munster-Public Trustee-Abbey-Place; Daniel; Bond-Bellingham-Gimson-Gill-Brown-Wadsworth-Patterson-Johnstone-Bell Properties-Property and Share Consolidation), 1898-1961


AMS6283 Reason Manufacturing Co (later Allen West & Co), Brighton, 1897-1933, with a history by J E H Jones; P C Jones's Kingston Fire Committee papers, 1941


Catalogued separately for A2A


AMS6284 The White House Lewes Road Chelwood Gate (Broadhurst copyhold - Judson-Biggs-Best-Turner-Gristwood-Janes); includes neighbouring Clifton Cottage; 1879-1965


AMS6285 Part of Wrenhams Marsh near The Sluice in Bexhill (Lancaster-Stonestreet-Ades-Maplesden; Moorman-Scrivens-Parks; includes plans by Thomas Relfe of 1824 and 1856); 1733-1872; 4a marsh, part of Avery estate in Hooe and Bexhill: Sadlers (Atkins-Munn-Ticehurst); Lunsfords in Hooe (Barber, Clark and Harding-Morris-Swan; a Crouch-Swan; Marketman-Avery-Lunsford-Delves-Ticehurst) both properties, called Lavenders (Ticehurst-Lavender-Harben-Cooper-Russell-Scrivens-Parks), 1606-1872; Gunters Land and Bakers in Bexhill (Smith-Moir-Newman-Moir-Newman-Wimbourn-Reeve-Parks), 1774-1873; Honeys in Bexhill (part of Grestock estate - Jordens, Bean House, another house, marsh and land in Hailsham, Great Collington and Broadrides in Bexhill, Friston Rectory and several Eastbourne Nether Inn copyholds; Grestock-Clarke-Deudney), 1712-1791


AMS6286 Cottages at Lunsfords Farm Pett (Nash-Flaskett), 1736


AMS6287 Brittain family of Northampton, 106 Homebush Avenue and 86 Rodmell Avenue Peacehaven (Beach Estate Telscombe), 1929-1961


AMS6288 Catalogue of sale of contents of Upper Burrells East Chiltington (Amos Oden deceased), 1923


AMS6289 Number not used


AMS6290 Illustrated notepaper of The Royal Swan Hotel Hastings (Collins late Carswell), 1887


AMS6291 Rev Douglas G Matthews, rector of Southover, Lewes: photographs and personalia, 1911-1960


AMS6292 Papers relating to the reconstruction of Exceat Causeway Westdean with subscription list and drawings; Ade, Thomas of Ratton, Whitmill; 1842; particulars of sale of the Chyngton Estate Seaford (Northcote deceased), with correspondence concerning Eastbourne College boat club, 1932


AMS6293 Photographs and papers concerning Beechlands Newick, the Blaauw family, Daphne MacDonald, Naomi Whittle and Warden Court School Cuckfield; 1843-1993


AMS6294 Correspondence and papers of the Brooker and Woodhams families of Alfriston: copy lease of Lullington Court Lodge and Plonk Farm (Dorset-Woodhams), 1725; copies of The Children's Missionary Meeting (1822) and The Setting Sun (c1821) by Charles Brooker; The Advantage of Early Religion Exemplified in a Brief Narrative of Miss Elizabeth Woodhams by John Harris, 1833; pedigree of Woodhams; 1725-1959


AMS6295 Handbills for exhibition of Mr Pettet's Dissolving Scenery at the National School at Novington in East Chiltington and the Bent Hotel Lindfield, 1864


AMS6296 Elsie Lucas of Hailsham, midwife: case register, 1929-1936; photograph album (including Deans Hospital Hurstpierpoint and nurses' home at 12-14 Wellington Road Brighton, 1929


AMS6297 William Wood of Woodlands nursery, Maresfield - copies of documents including letters from the Duke of Wellington, Sir Charles Stuart and Lord Sheffield, 1823-1948


AMS6298 Recollections of William Robert Allen of childhood life in St Johns Street Lewes, 1900-1914


AMS6299 Address presented to the Rev Frank Shergold on retirement as minister at Eastbourne Primitive Methodist Station, 1918


AMS6300 Archive of Edward George Parris of Worthing. 1 Pedigrees and genealogical research notes; [1620]-1992; 2 Family photographs and postcards; c1865-1930; 3 Papers concerning the estate of Henry Verrall of Brighton, solicitor, including Lovers Farm in Chalvington, [1782]-1907

Date: 1230-1974
Held by: East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO), not available at The National Archives
Language: English

East Sussex Record Office, Lewes

Physical description: 45 Accessions
Access conditions:

Records are open for consultation unless otherwise indicated

  • East Sussex
  • Land tenure
Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research