[?]Florida (now part of the United States of America): San Agostín de la Florida (now...
Ordering and viewing options
[?]Florida (now part of the United States of America): San Agostín de la Florida (now Saint Augustine). 'Plano del frenie principal del Castillo de Sn. Agustin de la Florida y del Revellin ...': plan of the principal front of the fortress [probably Fort Saint Mark (Castillo San Marco)]. Reference table to fortifications. Scale: 1 inch to about 4.5 'toesas' [toises] [1 inch to about 24 feet]. Compass indicator. Signed by Pedro de Repzas y Garar, 22 February 1763.
It has been suggested that this plan depicts a fortress in European Spain, at San Agustín [de Guadalix] about 16 miles (26 km) north of Madrid, and it is possible that it was thought to be such when held as part of the War Office map library. Fort Saint Mark, in Saint Augustine, Florida (which was transferred from Spanish to British control in 1763), seems to be the more likely identification, however.
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Former reference in its original department:||Spain/Fortified Towns & Forts/6|
|Former reference in The National Archives:||MR 651; WO 78/1017; WO 38/47|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
|Dimensions:||38 cm x 48 cm|
|Physical condition:||MS, coloured. Damaged at the edges|
|Closure status:||Open Document, Open Description|
Maps and Plans in the Public Record Office: 2. America and West Indies, ed P A Penfold (London, 1974), entry 2353. Extract reference originally printed as MR 651/39; document subsequently reverted to WO 78/1017/39. For cataloguing suggesting that the fortress is in European Spain, see Maps and Plans in the Public Record Office: 4. Europe and Turkey, ed Geraldine Beech (London, 1998), entry 4367
Context of this recordBrowse by Reference
- WO - Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
- Division within WO - General records of the War Office and predecessors and successor
- WO 78 - War Office and predecessors: Maps and Plans
- Subseries within WO 78 - Spain.
- WO 78/1017/4 - 14 items, numbered 23-34 and 36-37: maps and plans of places in Spain, Minorca (Menorca) and Florida, with related papers. Detailed descriptions are...
- WO 78/1017/4/37 - [?]Florida (now part of the United States of America): San Agostín de la Florida (now Saint Augustine). 'Plano del frenie principal del Castillo de...