These tithe maps were drawn to act as a graphic index to the tithe apportionments in IR 29, and together form what was termed the Tithe Survey, following the Tithe Commutation Act 1836. The maps were separated for storage reasons, because they are usually larger than the apportionments.
The maps show tithe areas, which were usually fields, but might also be houses with gardens, and other types of land parcel. The maps may also show buildings, street layouts, industrial and landscape features, roads and railways, rivers and other water features.
The descriptions give the mapmaker's name where known, and note where the map only shows tithable parts ie not the whole tithe district. Where a map is 'first class' ie considered legal evidence for all matters shown, this is noted; otherwise 'second class' status is assumed, which applied to the majority of tithe maps. Dates of individual tithe maps are given; most were drawn between 1837 and 1845, but earlier maps were sometimes re-used (the earliest dates to 1775).
Where the area to be mapped was small, it may have been drawn on the apportionment; this is noted in the description of each map to which this applies. Information about the presence of later altered apportionment maps has been added for the first thirteen counties (up to and including Gloucestershire) and for a few maps thereafter where this information was available. These date from a period shortly after the original maps, showing changes such as railway construction; and are found at intervals up to and including 1936.
A few of the maps in this series are in fact corn rent conversion maps, dating from between 1862 and 1936; they record conversion of existing corn rents generated by the enclosure process into tithe rentcharge.