Most of these records consist of registers of service and disbandment of the Irish Constabulary (Royal Irish Constabulary after 1867), including the auxiliary forces recruited 1881-1882 and 1920-1921. There are printed Constabulary lists for the Irish Constabulary, Dublin Metropolitan Police, Irish revenue police and Irish Coastguard; printed circulars and standing orders of the Irish Constabulary and miscellaneous records, including legal opinions and one divisional journal of the Dublin Metropolitan Police for the period 1920-1921.
The Irish Constabulary was first established as a national armed police force in 1822, supplemented by the Dublin Metropolitan Police, formed in 1786, and the Peace Preservation Police, created in 1814 for service in disturbed areas. In 1836 the Irish Constabulary Act abolished the Peace Preservation Police, which was absorbed into the Irish Constabulary and the force was re-organised to bring it wholly under central government control and under the command of an Inspector-General, based at Dublin Castle. The Dublin Police Act of 1836 transferred control of the Dublin Metropolitan Police from Dublin Corporation to the government.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know