Catalogue descriptionForeign Office: Consular Department: General Correspondence from 1906
Search within or browse this series to find specific records of interest.
Details of FO 369
Foreign Office: Consular Department: General Correspondence from 1906
This series contains correspondence, etc, of the Consular Department.
From the beginning of 1950 a revised filing system was adopted by the Foreign Office. This system was based on:
i) an initial letter (or letters) indicating the Department concerned
ii) a file number
iii) a further number indicating the particular paper in the file
A separate series of code numbers for countries was used together with the file numbers for papers filed in the Claims, Consular and Information Policy Departments. This modification does not affect the basic filing principle, thus KG 1021/7 stands for paper 7 on file 1 in the consular Department's Argentina series.
Departmental index letters:
KL Legislation of Documents
The records of the Consular Departments before 1906 are in the various country series of general correspondence, where they are usually bound separately, and distinguished in the catalogue by the description 'Consular' for the relevant pieces. Some consular correspondence is included in the confidential print.
Subject to 30 year closure unless otherwise stated
Immediate source of acquisition:
from 1939 Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Series is accruing
Unpublished finding aids:
Reference is through the card index and registers in FO 566 and FO 662 to 1920 and thereafter by the indexes in FO 409 A list of countries with their code number for this series is available at the National Archives. Please speak to staff at the enquiry
Administrative / biographical background:
A separate Consular Department was set up in 1825 to deal with the consular correspondence of the Foreign Office. Between 1866 and 1872 it was combined with the Commercial Department as the Consular and Commercial Department, between 1872 and 1880 with the Slave Trade Department as the Consular and Slave Trade Department, and between 1882 and 1893 with the African Department as the Consular and African (East and West) Department. Between 1912 and 1919 a controller of commercial and consular affairs was responsible for both the Commercial and Consular Departments, which remained, however, separate entities.
In March 1967, in preparation for the formation of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, a Joint Foreign Office/Commonwealth Office Consular Department was established, replacing the Consular Department and the Commonwealth Office Nationality and Consular Department. This became the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Consular Department upon the creation of the new Office in October 1968.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know