Ministry of Education: Teachers Branch: Area Training Organisation, Registered Files (RU Series)
|Title:||Ministry of Education: Teachers Branch: Area Training Organisation, Registered Files (RU Series)|
Registered files of the Ministry of Education Teachers Branch concerning the introduction of Area Training Organisations in accordance with the recommendations of the McNair Report of 1944.
In alphabetical order of institutes taking part in the schemes.
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Former reference in its original department:||RU file series|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
Ministry of Education, Teachers Branch, 1944-1961
Ministry of Education, Teachers Branch 2 (Training), 1961-1964
|Physical description:||150 file(s)|
|Access conditions:||Subject to 30 year closure|
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The McNair Committee on the supply, recruitment and training of teachers and youth leaders was appointed in March 1942 and reported in May 1944. The recommendations included the formation of Area Training Organisations (ATOs) to develop a closer relationship between the universities and the teacher training colleges. Two schemes, known subsequently as scheme A and scheme B, were outlined in paragraphs 163-196 of the report.
Scheme A involved "a major constitutional change" in the organisation of teacher training with the proposed introduction of University Schools (Institutes) of Education. These were "an organic federation of approved training institutes working in co-operation with other approved educational institutes" which were responsible for "the training and assessment of the work of all students seeking to be recognised by the Board of Education as qualified teachers." The ministry decided that the cost of scheme A organisation would fall to the responsible university, to be included in its grant from the University Grants Committee.
Scheme B involved the reconstitution of the existing Joint Examination Boards (who were responsible for the award of qualifying certificates) with finance met by the ministry, but was superseded by scheme C, which was formulated by a special sub-committee of the committee of Vice Chancellors and Principals in November 1944. Scheme C institutes were independent of their university and were financed by a 100% grant from the ministry under Regulation No 20 of G R 7 - Teachers Training Regulations.
In the event, the universities of Birmingham, Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Nottingham, Hull, Leicester, London, Manchester, Southampton, Wales, Sheffield, Leeds and Oxford opted for scheme A, while Cambridge, Reading and Liverpool adopted scheme C.