Board of Education and successors: Technical Branch and Further Education Branch: Adult Education Residential College, Files
|Title:||Board of Education and successors: Technical Branch and Further Education Branch: Adult Education Residential College, Files|
Files of the Board of Education and successors Technical Branch and Further Education Branch relating to residential colleges providing facilities for higher adult education and recognized for grant aid under the Regulations for certain Residential Colleges 1914 and later regulations.
The records are files relating to individual colleges and include reports by H.M. Inspectors, curricula, grant assessments, prospectuses and annual reports issued by the colleges.
The series also includes the application by Ruskin College (Oxford) for recognition.
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
Board of Education, Technical Branch, 1902-1944
Department of Education and Science, Further Education Branch 1, 1964-1970
Department of Education and Science, Further Education Branch 2, 1964-1970
Ministry of Education, Further Education Branch, 1944-1963
Ministry of Education, Further Education Branch 1, 1963-1964
Ministry of Education, Further Education Branch 2, 1963-1964
|Physical description:||148 file(s)|
|Access conditions:||Subject to 30 year closure|
|Selection and destruction information:||Few records in this series prior to 1930 have been preserved although papers relating to the application by Ruskin College for recognition and award of grant are extant.|
Board of Education's Regulations for certain Residential Colleges (Cmd. 7592 1914)
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The earliest residential colleges were established by voluntary bodies to provide a one year course of liberal adult education and were maintained by funds derived from private sources. The first such college was Ruskin College (Oxford), founded in 1899 to promote higher education among working men and women.
Following representations by Ruskin College, the Regulations for Certain Residential Colleges drafted in 1914, provided for direct grants to the colleges by the Board of Education. The outbreak of the First World War brought the activities of the colleges to a halt and it was not until 1920 that the regulations came into active use; they continued in force until superseded by the Board of Education (Adult Education) Regulations of 1924. Provision for adult education was subsequently embodied in the Further Education Grant Regulations, 1946.
Following the 1946 regulations, several Local Education Authorities opened residential colleges for adult education for which they provided grant-aid. These colleges provided short courses of a few days to a few weeks duration in a wide range of subjects, liberal studies for the general public and specialised courses for industry and some professions. The students were usually from the area covered by the Local Education Authority.
Context of this recordBrowse by Reference
- ED - Records created or inherited by the Department of Education and Science, and of related bodies
- Division within ED - Records of the Technical Branch, the Further Education Branch, and the Youth Service
- ED 68 - Board of Education and successors: Technical Branch and Further Education Branch: Adult Education Residential College, Files