Board of Education: Medical Branch: Evening Play Centres, Files
|Title:||Board of Education: Medical Branch: Evening Play Centres, Files|
Medical Branch of the Board of Education files relating to the grant-aided provision by local education authorities and voluntary bodies under the Regulations for Evening Play Centres 1917, and subsequent regulations, of facilities for recreation after school hours.
The papers comprise minutes and correspondence relating to applications for recognition for the purpose of grant; reports by HM Inspectors; copies of annual reports issued by the voluntary bodies concerned; and the drafting and implementation of the Regulations for Evening Play Centres (1917).
The files include material relating to the drafting and implementation of the regulations, minutes and correspondence relating to applications for recognition, reports by HM Inspectors and copies of annual reports issued by the voluntary bodies concerned.
The files of individual centres are arranged under counties for England and Wales, followed by policy papers grouped under the heading of "General".
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Former reference in its original department:||M file series|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
Board of Education, 1899-1944
Board of Education, Medical Branch, 1923-1944
|Physical description:||37 file(s)|
|Accruals:||No future accruals are expected|
The scope and growth of evening play centres are described in the published annual reports of the Chief Medical Officer of the Board of Education for 1916 and subsequent years.
|Administrative / biographical background:||
As early as 1902 Mrs. Humphrey Ward had organised an annual Holiday Play Centre during August in the garden of the Passmore Edwards Institute, London, for the benefit of children unable to have a country holiday. In subsequent years various voluntary organisations supplemented this provision with evening play centres, but owing to the falling off in voluntary subscriptions a serious danger arose of some of the existing centres being discontinued.
Although Section 13(1)(a) of the Education (Administrative Provisions) Act, 1907 gave local education authorities the power to provide play centres and also to assist work of this nature carried on by voluntary agencies, the granting of free use of school buildings was almost without exception the limit to which this power was exercised.
Prompted by an approach from the Home Office, who were concerned at the increase in crime among young persons and children still at school in the larger towns, and with the object of according to children in attendance at public elementary schools facilities for play after school hours, the Board of Education issued in 1917 the Regulations for Evening Play Centres. Under these regulations, grants amounting in some cases to fifty per cent of the cost of maintenance, were paid both to local education authorities and to voluntary bodies in aid of evening play centres recognised under the regulations.
Section 17 of the Education Act, 1918, and Section 22 of the Education Act, 1921, extended the responsibilities of local education authorities for promoting the social and physical welfare of the children and young persons in their charge. Statutory authority for the payment of grant in respect of evening play centres is found in Grant Regulations No. 7 (1919), the Board of Education (Healthy Physical and Mental Development of Children, Elementary Education) Regulations, 1920, the Consolidated Regulations relating to Special Services (Grant Regulations No. 19) and the Special Services Regulations, 1925 (Grant Regulations No. 19). Direct grant to managers of voluntary play centres ceased on 31st March, 1945 and provision for the leisure time of school children became the duty of local education authorities under section 53 of the Education Act, 1944.
The outbreak of the Second World War brought these activities to a stop, and direct grants to voluntary play centres formally ceased on 31 March 1945. Under s.53 of the Education Act 1944, provision for the leisure time of school children became the duty of local education authorities.