Catalogue descriptionEducation Department: Science and Art Department: Building Grants, Files
Search within or browse this series to find specific records of interest.
Details of ED 29
Education Department: Science and Art Department: Building Grants, Files
Education Department files containing applications from Trustees of Schools of Science and Schools of Art for building grants.
The files contain minutes, memoranda and correspondence on the sale of premises; and specifications of work, plans and design of new buildings aided by grant. There are details of grants made and applications withdrawn or refused, and also, in many cases, copy deeds and conveyances.
Building grants which had been made to art schools since 1856 were extended to science schools in 1868, and were in aid of a new building or the adaptation of an existing building, at a rate not exceeding 2s. 6d. per square foot of internal area.
The maximum for each type of school was £500, provided that certain conditions were complied with, and that the school, if it was a science school, was built under the Public Libraries and Museums Act 1892 or the Technical Instructions Act 1889, or was built in connection with a school of art, aided by a department building grant. Grant ceased in 1896, but outstanding claims were dealt with until 1904.
Grants were also made towards the purchase of fittings, apparatus and diagrams, but they were discontinued on the passing of the Local Taxation (Customs and Excise) Act, 1890, except in Ireland.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know