Court of Augmentations: Surrenders of Monasteries and Other Religious Institutions
|Title:||Court of Augmentations: Surrenders of Monasteries and Other Religious Institutions|
This series contains many, but by no means all, of the deeds of 'voluntary' surrender of lands made by the larger monasteries dissolved between 1537 and 1540, as well as similar surrenders by other religious institutions such as colleges, hospitals and chantries, and the two bishoprics of Westminster and Gloucester.
The surrenders, which were usually signed by all the members of the house and were sealed with the conventual seal, were taken locally before commissioners. Also included are some commissions to take surrenders, sent under the great seal and the privy seal, as well as other supporting documents.
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
|Language:||English and Latin|
Court of Augmentations, 1536-1547
|Physical description:||281 papers|
Context of this recordBrowse by Reference
- E - Records of the Exchequer, and its related bodies, with those of the Office of First Fruits and Tenths, and the Court of Augmentations
- Division within E - Records of the Court of Augmentations and the Augmentation Office
- E 322 - Court of Augmentations: Surrenders of Monasteries and Other Religious Institutions