Catalogue description Board of Trade and successors: Alkali Inspectorate and successors: Unregistered Records

Search within or browse this series to find specific records of interest.

Date range

Details of BT 328
Reference: BT 328
Title: Board of Trade and successors: Alkali Inspectorate and successors: Unregistered Records
Description:

The series contains papers of the Alkali Inspectorate and its successors relating to the implementation of the Alkali Acts and Orders from 1863 to date.

Topics relate to the monitoring of the disposal of by-products of industrial processes with an emphasis on anti-air pollution measures. Includes working papers, minutes, day books, reports, directives, staff papers, registers of alkali works and correspondence with industry.

Date: 1863-1989
Related material:

Files relating to air pollution and smoke abatement appear in HLG 55

Correspondence and papers relating to the regulation of chemical processes are in MH 16

Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Language: English
Creator:

Board of Trade, Alkali Inspectorate, 1863-1872

Department of the Environment, Alkali Inspectorate, 1970-1975

Health and Safety Commission, Health and Safety Executive, Alkali Inspectorate, 1975-1983

Health and Safety Commission, Health and Safety Executive, Industrial Air Pollution Inspectorate, 1983-1987

Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Pollution, 1987-1996

Local Government Board, Alkali Inspectorate, 1873-1918

Ministry of Health, Alkali Inspectorate, 1919-1951

Ministry of Housing and Local Government, Alkali Inspectorate, 1951-1970

Physical description: 167 files and volumes
Access conditions: Subject to 30 year closure
Administrative / biographical background:

Under the Alkali Act 1863, an Alkali Inspector and four sub-inspectors were appointed to curb the discharge into the air of hydrochloric gas from 'alkali works'. In 1874 the Inspector became the Chief Inspector. The Chief Inspector was statutorily responsible for the standards set, and maintained, by the Inspectorate and reported directly to the Permanent Secretary of his Department. For the first sixty years of its existence the Inspectorate was solely concerned with the heavy chemicals industry, but from the 1920s onwards its responsibilities were expanded, culminating in the Alkali Order 1958. This placed all major heavy industries which emitted smoke, grit, dust and fumes under the supervision of the Inspectorate.

From 1863 to 1872 the Inspectorate came under the Board of Trade, from 1873 to 1918 the Local Government Board, from 1919 to 1951 the Ministry of Health, from 1951 to 1970 the Ministry of Housing and Local Government and from 1970 to 1975 the Department of the Environment. The Chief Inspector's independence disappeared when the Inspectorate was transferred to the Health and Safety Executive in 1975. The Inspectorate was known as Industrial Air Pollution Inspectorate from 1983 to 1987 and became Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Pollution (HMIP) when it was transferred back to the Department of the Environment in 1987. HMIP became part of the Environment Agency on 1 April 1996.

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research

How to look for...