War Office: Directorate of Army Medical Services and Territorial Force: Nursing Service Records, First World War
|Title:||War Office: Directorate of Army Medical Services and Territorial Force: Nursing Service Records, First World War|
Correspondence files of the Directorate of Army Medical Services and Territorial Force containing service records of women who served in Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service and Territorial Force Nursing Service and other associated bodies during the First World War.
Please Note: Digital images of the records in this series are available to search and download.
The files are alphabetically arranged but split between the 2/ series, which primarily concern the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service, and the 9/series, which was opened for correspondence relating to territorial service in general, although these files only concern the Territorial Force Nursing Service.
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
War Office, Army Medical Department, 1857-1904
War Office, Directorate of Army Medical Services, 1904-1964
War Office, Territorial Force, 1907-1921
|Physical description:||15792 file(s)|
|Access conditions:||Available in digital format unless otherwise stated|
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
from 1999 Ministry of Defence
|Accruals:||No future accruals expected.|
Juliet Piggott, Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps, (London, 1990) Ian Hay One Hundred Years of Army Nursing (London, 1953)
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The Army Nursing Service came into formal existence in 1884 and ten years later a reserve of nurses was formed under the name of Princess Christian's Army Nursing Reserve. Experience of the medical services in the South African War 1899-1902, led to the creation of the professional Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service in March 1902. In 1908 Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service took over the reserve force and they were employed on a contract basis for the duration of the war. From 1921 Queen Alexandra's Military Family Nursing Service provided a separate nursing service for the families of soldiers. In 1927 all the various Queen Alexandra's nursing services were amalgamated into a homogenous whole. Administration of the service and its reserve was the responsibility of a branch (AMD 4) in the Directorate of Army Medical Services.
The Territorial Reserve Forces Act 1907 led to the creation of a Territorial Force Nursing Service in 1908 to support its new force; in 1922 it was renamed the Territorial Army Nursing Service. The personnel were administered by a branch (TV 4, later TA 4) under the Director General of the Territorial Army, although the provision of training came under the Directorate of Army Medical Services. The branch was also responsible as Joint Secretary to the Queen Alexandra's Army Nursing Board and Secretary to the Territorial Army Nursing Service Committee.
On the outbreak of the Second World War, the Reserve and the Territorial Army Nursing Service were mobilised and integrated administratively into the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service, with both services under the Matron-in-Chief. In 1941 both services were commissioned into the temporary Women's Forces and this continued until 1949, when Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps was formed; the TANS became QARANC (TA) and the Reserve became QARANC (Regular Army Reserve of Officers). Various records of the QAIMNS were destroyed by the enemy bombing of the Arnside Street record store in 1940.