War Office: Army Air Corps: War Diaries and Operations Record Books
|Title:||War Office: Army Air Corps: War Diaries and Operations Record Books|
This series consists of war diaries and operations record books of the Army Air Corps.
The series consists mainly of operations records book sheets (similar to those completed by RAF stations, units, squadrons, etc) which detail the day-to-day life of the unit, and its deployment.
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
Ministry of Defence, 1947-
War Office, 1857-1964
|Physical description:||51 files and papers|
|Access conditions:||Subject to 30 year closure|
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
War Office , from 1984
|Accruals:||Series is accruing|
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The Army Air Corps (AAC) owes its origin to the corps which was formed in 1942 to control the Glider Pilot Regiment and the Parachute Regiment. The Special Air Service Regiment was also subordinated to the AAC in 1944.
The corps was disbanded in 1950, but was raised again in 1957 to oversee the fixed-wing units of the Air Observation Post (AOP) units, Light Aircraft School RAF and Light Liaison units in an army that was making increasing use of helicopters as well as fixed-wing aircraft.
The formation of the present-day AAC was approved by HM The Queen with effect from 1 September 1957, and the royal warrant was promulgated in Army Order 82 of 1957, the Corps HQ being located at Middle Wallop in Hampshire.
From 1957 to 1973, the AAC was little more than a permanent cadre, supplemented by personnel from other regiments. Since 1973, however, the Corps has been responsible for its own recruitment.